Potential energy in case of Atwood machine

In summary: The question should, ideally, state what ##m## is. But the author has assumed it is clear from the information given in the question.So, as already suggested by @Orodruin and @haruspex, read the question again and take a guess at what you think ##m## is. What is your best guess?(You can then find ##\Delta U## based on your guess.)Yes, it would be good to be told what mass m represents, but it is not necessary in order to answer the question.We can deduce from the equations that ##m## is the mass of the lighter object. We can see that the heavier object has mass ##3m##. If we don't know
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The heavier block in an Atwood machine has a mass twice that of lighter one. The tension in the string is 16N when the system is set into motion. Find the decrease in U(GPE) during the first sec after the system is released from rest.
Relevant Equations
##F_{net}=ma##
##s=ut+1/2at^2##
##\Delta U=mgh##
##T-2mg=2ma_1## (acceleration of heavier mass)
##T-mg=ma_2##
(##-a_1=a_2##)

On solving the eqns, ##a_1=-g/3=-a_2##

##s=1/2at^2##
##s=-g/6## , distance covered by heavier mass.
##s=g/6## , covered by lighter mass.

Edit: ##\Delta U_1=mgh=-2mg^2/6## (decrease in U of heavier mass)
##\Delta U_2=mgh=mg^2/6## (increase in U of lighter mass)
##\Delta U=\Delta U_1+\Delta U_2=-mg^2/6##

Now what is m?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not used all of the information in the problem.

You haven't yet told us what you think it is ! (Or how you arrived at ##\Delta U=-mg^2/6##)

Steve4Physics said:
You haven't yet told us what you think it is ! (Or how you arrived at ##\Delta U=-mg^2/6##)
I don’t know m. It’s not given. Also I have edited the post. I thought it’s pretty clear but anyways.

rudransh verma said:
I don’t know m.
Because
Orodruin said:

rudransh verma said:
I don’t know m. It’s not given. Also I have edited the post. I thought it’s pretty clear but anyways.
The question should, ideally, state what ##m## is. But the author has assumed it is clear from the information given in the question.

So, as already suggested by @Orodruin and @haruspex, read the question again and take a guess at what you think ##m## is. What is your best guess?

(You can then find ##\Delta U## based on your guess.)

Sorry @rudranch verma. Based on your original (pre-editted) Post #1, I thought you were asking 'what does ##m## represent?

But it looks like you want the value of ##m##. See @Orodruin's and @haruspex's posts.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
Got it! 4mg/3=16, m= 1.22 kg
##\Delta U= 19.6 J##
Thank you!
It’s not very clear when is T=16N but I think it’s during motion. That’s how I wrote the eqns.

Steve4Physics said:
@rudranch verma. Based
It’s Rudransh.

rudransh verma said:
It’s Rudransh.
In Post #6 I typed the @ symbol followed by your PF user name: rudranch verma.

The system should have automatically converted it into a link, and rendered it blue. It didn't!

I'll try it again here: @rudransh verma

Yea - seems to work now.

rudransh verma said:
Also I have edited the post.
Do not edit posts after someone has replied. If you want to add information to your post or provide a necessary clarification, do so in a followup post.

Editing a post after it has become part of an active discussion is unfair to the people who are volunteering their help, makes it impossible for anyone else to follow the thread, and is fundamentally dishonest.

Likes SammyS, phinds, Steve4Physics and 6 others
Nugatory said:
Do not edit posts after someone has replied. If you want to add information to your post or provide a necessary clarification, do so in a followup post.
I always cut the sentences or mention edit: I didn’t do that in this thread. I forgot. But I’ll mention now.
Steve4Physics said:
In Post #6 I typed the @ symbol followed by your PF user name: rudranch verma.
Ranch is a sauce. Rudra(shiva)-nsh(part) means “Part of Shiva”:partytime:

Likes Steve4Physics
rudransh verma said:
I always cut the sentences or mention edit: I didn’t do that in this thread. I forgot. But I’ll mention now.
As stated: Just don’t edit the first posts in threads that have answers.

Likes Vanadium 50 and rudransh verma
rudransh verma said:
Ranch is a sauce. Rudra(shiva)-nsh(part) means “Part of Shiva”:partytime:
Apologies. I only just realized that I mistyped 'ch' instead of 'sh'.

rudransh verma said:
Got it! 4mg/3=16, m= 1.22 kg
##\Delta U= 19.6 J##
Why 4mg?

Lnewqban said:
Why 4mg?
Because 1 + 1/3 = 4/3.

It is better to follow the rules than to explain why they don't apply to you.

This whole thread has been an exercise in guessing. Perhaps this problem is at too high a level?

Last edited:
Likes phinds

1. What is potential energy in an Atwood machine?

Potential energy in an Atwood machine refers to the stored energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in the system. In this case, the potential energy is a result of the difference in height between the two masses in the Atwood machine.

2. How is potential energy calculated in an Atwood machine?

The potential energy in an Atwood machine can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two masses.

3. What factors affect the potential energy in an Atwood machine?

The potential energy in an Atwood machine is affected by the mass of the objects, the height difference between the masses, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, any external forces acting on the system can also affect the potential energy.

4. How does potential energy change as the masses in an Atwood machine move?

As the masses in an Atwood machine move, the potential energy changes due to the change in height difference between the masses. As one mass moves up, the other moves down, resulting in a change in potential energy.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy in an Atwood machine?

Yes, potential energy in an Atwood machine can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, as the masses move. This is a result of the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.