Faulty approach to solving a double Atwood's machine

In summary: So you have your answer.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a double Atwood's machine with masses ##m_1##, ##m_2##, and ##m_3##. The solution involves using several equations, including those derived from the conservation of string and the equation ##F=ma##. However, there is an error in the equation derived from the conservation of string, leading to an incorrect solution.
Rations
Hello. I'm wondering why my approach to solving this problem (Morin 3.2) is faulty.

Homework Statement

A double Atwood's machine is shown, with masses ##m_1##, ##m_2##, and ##m_3##. Find the accelerations of the masses.
3.2.PNG

Homework Equations

##F = ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say the string over the bottom pulley has tension ##T## and the string over the top pulley has tension ##T_2##. Assuming that the pulleys and ropes are massless and defining the upwards direction as positive, I have several equations:

(1) For ##m_1##: ##T_2 - m_1g = m_1a_1##
(2) For ##m_2##: ##T - m_2g = m_2a_2##
(3) For ##m_3##: ##T - m_3g = m_3a_3##
(4) For the lower pulley: ##T_2 - 2T = 0##
(5) From conservation of string: ##a_2 = -a_3##

If I substitute ##-a_3## into (2) and then solve (2) and (3) for ##T##, I find ##T = \frac{2m_2m_3g}{m_2 + m_3}##. From (4), ##T_2## is twice this value.

Then, I substitute my expression for ##T_2## into (1) and solve for ##a_1##, which yields:
[tex]a_1 = g\frac{4m_2m_3 - m_1(m_2 + m_3)}{m_1(m_2 + m_3)}[/tex]

This answer is close to what Morin writes, but is missing a term in the denominator. After reading his solution, which uses the fact that ##a_1 = -\left(\frac{a_2 + a_3}{2}\right)##, I feel that I can understand why his approach works. However, I do not see where I made a mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rations said:
From conservation of string: a2=−a3a_2 = -a_3

This is where you have made a mistake . Why ?

Conservation of string can be looked at in two ways .
Since you use all accelerations in one direction , this would be an easier way to understand -

Total power by string must be zero ( Why ? ) . Power = F.v , so total sum of of each individual power provided by string must be equal to zero .

So 2T*v1 + T*v2 + T*v3 = 0 , or ,
2v1 + v2 + v3 = 0 .

So what relation do you get for acceleration ?

I hope this helps .

Oh, right. I just realized that ##a_2 = -a_3## only holds in the reference frame of the pulley, not the ground. Don't know why that point eluded me for so long. Thanks.

Rations said:
Hello. I'm wondering why my approach to solving this problem (Morin 3.2) is faulty.

Homework Statement

A double Atwood's machine is shown, with masses ##m_1##, ##m_2##, and ##m_3##. Find the accelerations of the masses.
View attachment 86504

Homework Equations

##F = ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say the string over the bottom pulley has tension ##T## and the string over the top pulley has tension ##T_2##. Assuming that the pulleys and ropes are massless and defining the upwards direction as positive, I have several equations:

(1) For ##m_1##: ##T_2 - m_1g = m_1a_1##
(2) For ##m_2##: ##T - m_2g = m_2a_2##
(3) For ##m_3##: ##T - m_3g = m_3a_3##
(4) For the lower pulley: ##T_2 - 2T = 0##
(5) From conservation of string: ##a_2 = -a_3##

If I substitute ##-a_3## into (2) and then solve (2) and (3) for ##T##, I find ##T = \frac{2m_2m_3g}{m_2 + m_3}##. From (4), ##T_2## is twice this value.

Then, I substitute my expression for ##T_2## into (1) and solve for ##a_1##, which yields:
[tex]a_1 = g\frac{4m_2m_3 - m_1(m_2 + m_3)}{m_1(m_2 + m_3)}[/tex]

This answer is close to what Morin writes, but is missing a term in the denominator. After reading his solution, which uses the fact that ##a_1 = -\left(\frac{a_2 + a_3}{2}\right)##, I feel that I can understand why his approach works. However, I do not see where I made a mistake.
Your error is with the equation you get from the "conservation of string", as Qwertywerty points out.

A simple way to see that this is erroneous is: Suppose that m2 = m3 . Then we must have a2 = a3 , but these won't be zero in general.

1. What is a double Atwood's machine?

A double Atwood's machine is a physics apparatus that consists of two pulleys, two masses, and a string connecting the masses. It is used to demonstrate the principles of tension, acceleration, and force.

2. What is a faulty approach to solving a double Atwood's machine?

A faulty approach to solving a double Atwood's machine is when the principles of Newton's laws are not applied correctly. This can lead to inaccurate or incorrect results.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a double Atwood's machine?

Some common mistakes when solving a double Atwood's machine include not considering the weight of the pulleys, neglecting friction, and not accounting for the direction of the tension forces.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving a double Atwood's machine?

To avoid making mistakes when solving a double Atwood's machine, it is important to carefully consider all the forces acting on the system and to use the correct equations and principles of physics. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and to practice with simpler problems first.

5. What are some real-life applications of a double Atwood's machine?

A double Atwood's machine is used in industries such as construction and transportation to demonstrate the principles of tension and acceleration. It can also be used in physics education to help students understand these concepts and to practice problem-solving skills.