1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faulty approach to solving a double Atwood's machine

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hello. I'm wondering why my approach to solving this problem (Morin 3.2) is faulty.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A double Atwood's machine is shown, with masses ##m_1##, ##m_2##, and ##m_3##. Find the accelerations of the masses.
    3.2.PNG

2. Relevant equations
    ##F = ma##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let's say the string over the bottom pulley has tension ##T## and the string over the top pulley has tension ##T_2##. Assuming that the pulleys and ropes are massless and defining the upwards direction as positive, I have several equations:

(1) For ##m_1##: ##T_2 - m_1g = m_1a_1##
    (2) For ##m_2##: ##T - m_2g = m_2a_2##
    (3) For ##m_3##: ##T - m_3g = m_3a_3##
    (4) For the lower pulley: ##T_2 - 2T = 0##
    (5) From conservation of string: ##a_2 = -a_3##

If I substitute ##-a_3## into (2) and then solve (2) and (3) for ##T##, I find ##T = \frac{2m_2m_3g}{m_2 + m_3}##. From (4), ##T_2## is twice this value.

Then, I substitute my expression for ##T_2## into (1) and solve for ##a_1##, which yields:
    [tex]a_1 = g\frac{4m_2m_3 - m_1(m_2 + m_3)}{m_1(m_2 + m_3)}[/tex]

This answer is close to what Morin writes, but is missing a term in the denominator. After reading his solution, which uses the fact that ##a_1 = -\left(\frac{a_2 + a_3}{2}\right)##, I feel that I can understand why his approach works. However, I do not see where I made a mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    This is where you have made a mistake . Why ?

Conservation of string can be looked at in two ways .
    Since you use all accelerations in one direction , this would be an easier way to understand -

Total power by string must be zero ( Why ? ) . Power = F.v , so total sum of of each individual power provided by string must be equal to zero .

So 2T*v1 + T*v2 + T*v3 = 0 , or ,
    2v1 + v2 + v3 = 0 .

So what relation do you get for acceleration ?

I hope this helps .

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
    Oh, right. I just realized that ##a_2 = -a_3## only holds in the reference frame of the pulley, not the ground. Don't know why that point eluded me for so long. Thanks.

5. Jul 28, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your error is with the equation you get from the "conservation of string", as Qwertywerty points out.

A simple way to see that this is erroneous is: Suppose that m2 = m3 . Then we must have a2 = a3 , but these won't be zero in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted