Potential energy of a shoelace

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy stored in a tied shoelace and how it can be measured by undoing the knot. It is mentioned that the work required to untie the knot is unrelated to other tasks and is mostly done against friction, resulting in heat. The concept of a "gordian knot" is also mentioned as an example of a knot that requires more work to undo than to tie.
Rothiemurchus
How much potential energy is stored in a tied shoelace?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's it made of? How tightly is it tied? What sort of substrate is it tied into, specifically with regard to modulus of elasticity in the area of the eglets? Getting the idea?

You can work this one out by measuring the work done it takes to undo the knot.

Anyone any ideas for doing this experiment? I suppose you could do it with a force-gauge.

christianjb said:
You can work this one out by measuring the work done it takes to undo the knot.
No. the two works are unrelated.

lpfr said:
No. the two works are unrelated.

How so?

I guess that it's nowhere near a conservative force field, so most of the work is done against friction, which ends up heating the shoe-lace.

christianjb said:
How so?

I guess that it's nowhere near a conservative force field, so most of the work is done against friction, which ends up heating the shoe-lace.

You have answered yourself.

Have you ever heard about a "gordian knot"? Some real life knots are almost gordian. They ask for very much work to untie than to tie.

are you including energy stored as mass?

I don't know whe you are asking. Anyway, not me!

We're done here.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position, shape, or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

What is the potential energy of a shoelace?

The potential energy of a shoelace is the energy that is stored when the shoelace is stretched or bent. It is a type of elastic potential energy.

How is potential energy related to a shoelace?

A shoelace has potential energy when it is stretched or bent because of its elastic properties. The energy is stored in the stretched or bent molecules of the shoelace, which can be released when the shoelace is untied or straightened.

How can potential energy be calculated for a shoelace?

The potential energy of a shoelace can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant of the shoelace, and x is the displacement of the shoelace from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the potential energy of a shoelace?

The potential energy of a shoelace is affected by the amount of stretch or bend in the shoelace, the material and thickness of the shoelace, and the force applied to the shoelace. The greater the stretch or bend, the higher the potential energy will be.