Potential Energy of Dipole in Electric Field

In summary, when a dipole with a moment of 0.7 e * nm is placed in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 50000 N/C at an angle of 60 degrees, the potential energy of the dipole is calculated to be 2.8e-24 J using the equation U = -pE cos (theta). However, it is unclear why this answer may be marked as incorrect.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A dipole of moment 0.7 e * nm is placed in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 50000 N/C. Find the potential energy of the dipole in the electric field at 60 degrees. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

-pE cos (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnitude of the torque on the dipole when it makes an angle of 60 degrees with the electric field to be 4.8497423e-24 N*m. (This I know to be correct.) I then used the equation -pE cos (theta) to get 2.8e-24 for the potential energy. However, I keep being told that this is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
peaceandlove said:

Homework Statement

A dipole of moment 0.7 e * nm is placed in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 50000 N/C. Find the potential energy of the dipole in the electric field at 60 degrees. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

-pE cos (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnitude of the torque on the dipole when it makes an angle of 60 degrees with the electric field to be 4.8497423e-24 N*m. (This I know to be correct.) I then used the equation -pE cos (theta) to get 2.8e-24 for the potential energy. However, I keep being told that this is incorrect.

Don't they give you the dipole moment p directly as a given "0.7 e * nm" ?

Isn't that the dipole moment you use in

U = -p*E*cosθ

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all factors and variables in order to accurately solve a problem. In this case, it is important to first clarify the units used for the dipole moment and the electric field. Is the dipole moment given in units of coulomb-meters (C*m) or electron-nanometers (e*nm)? Similarly, is the electric field given in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) or newtons per electron (N/e)? This clarification is important because the equations used to calculate potential energy may differ depending on the units used.

Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of the dipole moment and the direction of the electric field when calculating potential energy. The equation -pE cos (theta) assumes that the dipole moment and the electric field are in the same direction. If they are not, then the equation may need to be modified.

Furthermore, it is important to double check all calculations to ensure accuracy. It may also be helpful to use multiple equations or approaches to solve the problem and compare the results.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider all factors and variables when solving a scientific problem, and to double check all calculations to ensure accuracy. By doing so, we can confidently provide a response to the given content and ensure that our scientific understanding is accurate and reliable.

1. What is the definition of potential energy of dipole in electric field?

The potential energy of dipole in electric field is the energy stored in a system consisting of two opposite charges (positive and negative) separated by a distance in the presence of an electric field. It represents the work that must be done to bring the two charges together or to separate them.

2. How is the potential energy of dipole in electric field calculated?

The potential energy of dipole in electric field can be calculated using the formula U = -pEcosθ, where U is the potential energy, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, E is the strength of the electric field, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy of dipole in electric field and the orientation of the dipole?

The potential energy of dipole in electric field is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field. This means that the potential energy will be at its maximum when the dipole moment is aligned with the electric field, and at its minimum when the dipole moment is perpendicular to the electric field.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the potential energy of dipole in electric field?

The potential energy of dipole in electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the potential energy decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

5. How is the potential energy of dipole in electric field used in practical applications?

The potential energy of dipole in electric field is used in various practical applications, such as in the operation of electric motors and generators. It is also used in capacitors and batteries to store and release energy. Furthermore, it is utilized in the study of molecular interactions and in the development of new technologies, such as nanotechnology and biomedical devices.