1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of gravitational force

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bead of mass m slides along the x-axis between two spheres of mass M equidistant from the x-axis (distance d) and attract the bead gravitationally.

a. Find the potential energy of the bead.

b. The bead is released at x = 3d with an initial velocity toward the origin. Find the speed at the origin.

c. Find the frequency of small oscillations of the bead about the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]U = -\int F dx[/tex]

[tex]F_{grav} = \frac{-GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]E = U + K[/tex]

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Integrating the force of gravity, I find that the potential energy of the force is [tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}*{R_{M}}^2*(\frac{1}{R_{M}} - \frac{1}{r})[/tex] where [tex]r[/tex] is the distance straight from [tex]m[/tex] to one of the spheres [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]R_M[/tex] is the radius of [tex]M[/tex]. This is fine, but I'm stuck on how to set the potential in terms of d, which I will need to find the velocity in the next part.

Conceptually, I know the y component of the gravitational forces cancel out since the spheres are equal mass and distance away. Also, the potential I get for the x component will need to be doubled since there are two masses.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    Wow, once you learn Latex, it's a lot easier to format your equations. I hope that helps the equations a little better to understand.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Isn't the r distance really given by

[tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{d^2}{4}} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?