1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of System (Uniform Rod and String)

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg339/scaled.php?server=339&filename=53171696.jpg&res=medium [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    GPE = mgh, EPE = λx^2 / 2l

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm taking the horizontal line through A as the zero-level for potential energy. Clearly, the GPE of the rod is mgacosθ + constant. To find the elastic potential energy, I noted that:

[tex]EPE = \frac{0.5mgx^2}{4a}[/tex]

I said that the extension x is given by the length of BC minus the natural length. To get BC, I used the cosine rule;

BC2 = 16a2 + 4a2 - 16a2cosθ

So BC = 2a√(5 - 4cosθ).

Then,

[tex]EPE = \frac{mg(2a \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta} - 2a)^2}{8a}[/tex]

Which, to me, simplifies to:

[tex]EPE = mga(3 - 2 \cos \theta - \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta})[/tex]

The total potential energy V can thus be expressed as:

[tex]V = -mga(\cos \theta - 3 + \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta}) + \mathbb{constant}[/tex].

This is almost identical to what they've got, except without the 3. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Sigh... just realised in the mark scheme they've counted the +3 as 'a constant' so negligible. Ugh. Sorry to whoever was reading this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook