1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of a conducting sphere with charge inside

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    This is a general question:

What is the electric potential of a hollow neutral conducting sphere with radius R with a charge q placed inside it?
    Intuitively I understand that it is the same - q/R, no matter where the charge is placed inside the sphere. Can anyone explain why it is so?

My thoughts: The potential on the surface of a conducting sphere is constant, and it seems implausible that I will be able to change the potential of the sphere just by moving the charge inside, and therefore, I may as well place it in the middle and then the potential is obviously q/R.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: What would you expect the charge distribution to "look like" when you are very far from the sphere? What is the total charge enclosed by a spherical, concentric Gaussian surface of radius r>>R? So, if the potential at r=infinity is zero, what must the potential be at any point outside the sphere?
  4. May 15, 2010 #3

I've found a comprehensive and detailed explanation in Griffiths Intro to Electrodynamics. Should have known it'll be there - gotta love that book!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook