Potential of an undefinided cylinder

In summary: It's difficult to find the field and potential at points outside the cylinder because the potential is undefined.
Guillem_dlc

Homework Statement

Determine the potential that creates an undefined cylinder of radius $R$ and density density $\rho$ that is uniformly charged.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for this problem I can use gauss because it is a cylinder, now I do not get anywhere right, it is also a question of calculating the potential. Some help? Besides, the indefinite thing confuses me a little ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I venture to guess that the problem statement is to be interpreted as asking for the potential created by an infinitely long cylinder of radius ##R## and uniform volume charge density ##\rho##.

Please show the details of your attempt of using Gauss' law.

TSny said:
I venture to guess that the problem statement is to be interpreted as asking for the potential created by an infinitely long cylinder of radius ##R## and uniform volume charge density ##\rho##.

Please show the details of your attempt of using Gauss' law.
Yes, of course I'll pass it to you. I think that's fine by now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 323
It's preferable to type out your equations rather than post pictures. That way, we can easily quote specific parts of your calculations.

In your final expression for ##\vec E##, I take it that the symbol circled in green
upload_2018-3-19_16-49-23.png
should be ##r##. If so, then it looks OK. But is this the electric field at a point inside the cylinder or at a point outside the cylinder?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-19_16-49-23.png
    upload_2018-3-19_16-49-23.png
    970 bytes · Views: 649
TSny said:
It's preferable to type out your equations rather than post pictures. That way, we can easily quote specific parts of your calculations.

In your final expression for ##\vec E##, I take it that the symbol circled in green View attachment 222331 should be ##r##. If so, then it looks OK. But is this the electric field at a point inside the cylinder or at a point outside the cylinder?
Yes it is a [ tex ] r [ / tex ] sorry it is not clear. It's the field for the interior I think.

Guillem_dlc said:
It's the field for the interior I think.
OK, that's correct. Are you trying to get the potential at a point inside the cylinder, outside the cylinder, or both?

What is the connection between electric field and electric potential?

TSny said:
OK, that's correct. Are you trying to get the potential at a point inside the cylinder, outside the cylinder, or both?

What is the connection between electric field and electric potential?
We have seen that ##\vec{E}=\rho \dfrac{r}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{r}## is in the inside of the cylinder.
Also, ##E2\pi rh=\dfrac{1}{\varepsilon_0}\rho V\Rightarrow E=\dfrac{\rho \pi R^2h}{2\pi rh\varepsilon_0}\Rightarrow \vec{E}=\dfrac{\rho R^2}{2\varepsilon_0r}\vec{r}## is outside the cylinder.
The connection between electric field and electric potential: one is the derivative of the other, is not it? Would I have to integrate in this case? But I do not know anymore.

Please show your work.

TSny said:
Please show your work.
I have solved the ##V (r)## for ##r <R## (inner points).
##V(r)=\int_r^0 \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=\int_r^0\dfrac{\rho r}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{a}_r\cdot d\vec{l}=\dfrac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\int_r^0rdr=\dfrac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\left[ \dfrac{r^2}{2}\right] _r^0=-\dfrac{\rho r^2}{4\varepsilon_0}##

Guillem_dlc said:
I have solved the ##V (r)## for ##r <R## (inner points).
##V(r)=\int_r^0 \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=\int_r^0\dfrac{\rho r}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{a}_r\cdot d\vec{l}=\dfrac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\int_r^0rdr=\dfrac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\left[ \dfrac{r^2}{2}\right] _r^0=-\dfrac{\rho r^2}{4\varepsilon_0}##
This looks right. Note that you are taking the potential to be zero at ##r = 0##, which is a good choice for this problem.

Have you also been able to get the potential at points outside the cylinder?

No

Guillem_dlc said:
No
What is it about points outside the cylinder that is making it difficult to find the field and potential?

What is the potential of an undefined cylinder?

The potential of an undefined cylinder refers to the amount of stored energy within the cylinder due to its shape and composition. It is a measure of the work that would be required to move a unit of electric charge from the surface of the cylinder to infinity.

How is the potential of an undefined cylinder calculated?

The potential of an undefined cylinder is calculated using the formula V = k * Q / r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the electric charge, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

What factors affect the potential of an undefined cylinder?

The potential of an undefined cylinder is affected by the size, shape, and composition of the cylinder, as well as the amount and distribution of electric charge on its surface.

How does the potential of an undefined cylinder relate to its electric field?

The electric field of an undefined cylinder is directly proportional to its potential. This means that as the potential increases, the electric field also increases, and vice versa.

What is the significance of the potential of an undefined cylinder in practical applications?

The potential of an undefined cylinder is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields and charges, which has numerous practical applications such as in electronics, power generation, and medical imaging.