1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of charged disk for x R

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1
    I understand the answer to this part of the problem intuitively but there's definitely something in the math that I'm missing--

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Along the axis through the center of a charged disk, for a point P at a distance x from the center, the potential will be

[tex]\frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}R^{2}}\left[\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}}-x\right][/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    For x>>R, I'm supposed to understand that this reduces to

[tex]V\approx\frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}R^{2}}\left[x\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{x^2}\right)-x\right]=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    As I said, I understand that this must work out, but I'm misunderstanding something about the math. It seems as though the term under the radical above ought to become just [tex]x^{2}[/tex] for x>>R, and thus inside the brackets x-x=0 and then V=0, which is untrue. Could someone please explain how [tex]\left[\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}}-x\right][/tex] becomes [tex]\left[x\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{x^2}\right)-x\right][/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2
    Bring the x^2 term outside the radical, then apply the general binomial expansion formula for (1+y)^(1/2) = 1 + (1/2)y - ....

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3
    Binomial approximation will get you there.

[tex]\sqrt{R^2+x^2}=\sqrt{\frac{R^2 x^2}{x^2}+x^2}[/tex]

Now use the approx
    [tex]x \sqrt{\frac{R^2}{x^2}+1}=x(1+\frac{1}{2} \frac{R^2}{x^2})[/tex]

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    *thumps forehead* thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?