1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of dielectric cylinder with constant polarization

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dielectric cylinder is radius R and thickness d. Origin is at the center of the cylinder, which is oriented along the z-axis. It has polarization P=pzI need to calculate the potential V(0,0,h) at h>d/2.

2. Relevant equations
    σb=P⋅n

Σ((-nR2nAn/Rn+1)-nRn-1An)sin(nφ)+Σ((-nR2nBn/Rn+1)-nRn-1Bn)cos(nφ)=-σε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've actually done a lot of work to reach the equation above. In example problems, such as with a sphere, σ ends up with a cosφ term that can be used to set their coefficients equal to each other and solve for the An and Bn terms. In this problem, however, the normal unit vector n is parallel with the direction of polarization so σ=p. Since σ has no sin or cos terms, I can't solve for An and Bn. What am I supposed to do, or more likely, what did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

This is not a Legendre type problem, (unlike your problem of last week.) Instead, you get a uniform polarization charge density of ## \sigma_p=+P ## on one endface at ## z=+d/2 ## ,and a uniform polarization charge density on the other endface of ## \sigma_p=-P ## at ## z=-d/2 ##.(Note ## \sigma_p=P \cdot \hat{n} ##.) Computing the potential is simply the integral of ## V(x)=\int \frac{\rho(x')}{4 \pi \epsilon_o |x-x'|} \, d^3 x' ## where it will then become a surface integral over the two endfaces. You are only computing the potential at a point along the z-axis, so with symmetry, I think the (surface) integrals might be workable. (Note: For this problem, the polarization is considered to be spontaneous and there are no externally applied electric fields creating the polarization ## P ##.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted