1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The potential inside and outside of an infinitely long cylinder, where σ=a*sin(5θ)

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Charge density: σ(θ)=w*sin(5θ)

(where a is a constant) is glued over the surface of an infinite cylinder of radius R. Find the potential inside and outside the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations
    s is a point inside or outside of the cylinder, and θ is the angle between s and the x-axis.
    Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates:

V(s,θ)=a0+b0*ln(s)+Ʃ(s^k(a*cos(kθ)+b*sin(kθ)+s^-k(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ)))

(*)Charge density: σ=-ε0(∂V(outside)/∂s-∂V(inside)/∂s) evaluated at s=R

3. The attempt at a solution

So I solved inside and outside potential, the answers are given as follows:

Inside: V(s,θ)=a0+Ʃ(s^k(a*cos(kθ)+b*sin(kθ)) This is because ln(0) is undefined so b0 must equal 0 AND 0^-k is undefined so s^-k(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ) must equal 0.

Outside: V(s,θ)=a0+Ʃ(s^-k(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ)))

Now using the charge density equation (*):

σ=ε0*Ʃ(K*R^(-k-1)*(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ)-K*R^(k-1)*(a*cos(kθ)+b*sin(kθ))
    Thus:
    w*sin(5θ)=ε0*Ʃ(K*R^(-k-1)*(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ)-K*R^(k-1)*(a*cos(kθ)+b*sin(kθ))

Now this is where I begin to struggle. The answer manual assumes that a=c=0 and b=d=0 except when k=5. It then proceeds to say that w=5*ε0(d5/R^6+R^4*b5). I am missing the connection as to why these claims are true.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: The potential inside and outside of an infinitely long cylinder, where σ=a*sin(5θ

This is a consequence of the orthogonality of the sines and cosines. Basically, on your left you have only a single Fourier sine mode, w*sin(5θ). On your right you have an infinite sum of Fourier sine and cosine modes, in other words, you have a full Fourier series. To see explicitly why the only nonzero terms are the sin(5θ) terms, try multiplying both sides of the equation by sin(kθ) and integrating over a full period, then try the same thing with cos(kθ) instead.

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    Re: The potential inside and outside of an infinitely long cylinder, where σ=a*sin(5θ

I forgot to mention that the sum:
    Ʃ(K*R^(-k-1)*(c*cos(kθ)+d*sin(kθ)-K*R^(k-1)*(a*cos(kθ)+b*sin(kθ))

is from k=1 to infinity.

Did you mean divide both sides by sin(5θ)? If I multiply then I would have w*sin^2(5θ)= the integral with respect to theta on the right side?

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiply by sin(nθ) (where n is an integer) and integrate over theta for a full period (you will have a definite integral)....when is the integral on the LHS non-zero? What does that tell you about the terms on the RHS?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook