Potential ##V## and potential energy ##E_{pot}##?

In summary, the potential and potential energy for a spring are the same, although the terminology may vary in different contexts. The potential energy of a spring is defined as ##E_{pot}= \frac{1}{2}kx^2##, while the electric potential is defined as ##V=\frac{1}{2}kx^2## for a spring. The main difference between these two scenarios is that the spring has an inherent potential energy, while the electric field has an inherent potential energy per unit charge. However, the terms "potential" and "potential energy" are often used interchangeably, and it is more important to focus on the mathematical definition rather than the name given to it.
Abigale
Hi,
I know that in an elecric field the potential energy ##E_{pot}## is equal to the potential ##V## times the charge ##E_{pot}=q V##.

Here my problem:
I know that the potential energy of a spring is ##E_{pot}= \frac{1}{2}kx^2##.
In my theoretical physics book i read also that the potential is ##V=\frac{1}{2}kx^2## for a spring.

Is the potential and potential enrgy for a spring exactly the same?
And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
Hi,
I know that in an elecric field the potential energy ##E_{pot}## is equal to the potential ##V## times the charge ##E_{pot}=q V##.

Here my problem:
In my theoretical physics book i read also that the potential is ##V=\frac{1}{2}kx^2## for a spring.

And why?

The main difference between these two scenarios is that the spring has an inherent potential energy, but the electric field has an inherenet potential energy per unit charge: which gives the potential energy of a particle depending on its charge.

Abigale said:

And why?

In this case, yes, it is the same thing.

The terms "potential" and "potential energy" are often intermixed, especially when the non-energy form of "potential" is not relevant or not used often enough, as in the case of gravitational field. This is different from the electric field case where we do use electric potential and electric potential energy more frequently. So often times, in gravity case, book authors often tend to go sloppy.

You will encounter many times where the terminology may change and vary from book to book, person to person, situation to situation. It is why it is extremely important not to get too attached to a particular symbol or label being given to something. It is more important that you look at the mathematical form or definition of that thing, because THAT is the only description that matters, not the name we give to it.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes nasu and PeroK

1. What is potential ##V##?

Potential ##V## is a measure of the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is often referred to as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential ##V## related to electric field strength?

Potential ##V## is directly proportional to electric field strength. This means that as the electric field strength increases, so does the potential ##V##. The relationship can be expressed as V = E*d, where V is potential, E is electric field strength, and d is the distance between the two points.

3. What is potential energy ##E_{pot}##?

Potential energy ##E_{pot}## is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. In the context of electric potential, it is the energy that a charge has due to its position in an electric field. The formula for potential energy is E_{pot} = q*V, where q is the charge and V is the potential.

4. How is potential energy ##E_{pot}## related to potential ##V##?

Potential energy ##E_{pot}## is directly proportional to potential ##V##. This means that as the potential ##V## increases, so does the potential energy ##E_{pot}##. The relationship can be expressed as E_{pot} = q*V, where q is the charge and V is the potential.

5. How can potential ##V## and potential energy ##E_{pot}## be used in practical applications?

Potential ##V## and potential energy ##E_{pot}## have many practical applications, such as in electric circuits, batteries, and capacitors. They can also be used to calculate the motion of charged particles in an electric field and to determine the strength and direction of electric fields. Additionally, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, to power devices and machines.