Potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current

In summary: So I think what we want to do is integrate the potential over the entire surface of the element.##\vec{A} \left( z \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{(K_0,0,0)}{\sqrt{s'^2 + Z^2}}\, 2 \pi s' ds'##Understood. So I think what we want to do is integrate the potential over the entire surface of the element.##\vec{A} \left( z \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{(K_0,0,
Cloruro de potasio
Homework Statement
Consider a sheet of current K = K0ˆx flowing on the surface of a finite circular disk of radius R lying in the xy plane. (1) Calculate the vector potential A(r) along the zˆ-axis above and below the sheet. Plot the z dependence of the non-zero component of the vector potential. (2) Calculate the derivatives of the vector potential just above and just below the sheet. Verify that it follows equation 5.78 from the book, namely the discontinuity in the derivative of the vector potential normal to the current sheet is ∂Aabove/∂n − ∂Abelow/∂n = −µ0K. (3) Using the above results, calculate the magnetic field B(r) at an arbitrary point r = (0, 0, z) along the zˆ-axis above and below the sheet. (4) We now investigate what happens in the limit that the radius of the current-carrying circular disk R → ∞. Calculate the vector potential A(r) and the magnetic field B(r) in that limit. Comment on your result.
Relevant Equations
$B=\nabla x A$
Hi,

I've been stuck for a long time with this exercise. I am not able to calculate the potential vector, since I do not know very well how to pose the itegral, or how to decompose the disk to facilitate the resolution of the problem. I know that because the potential vector must be parallel to the current, it must have only an x component, but I don't know how to continue ...

Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think for the vector potential along the z-axis

##\vec{A} \left( \vec{r} \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{\vec{K}}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r}' \right|}\,da'##

## = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi}\int \frac{\left(K_0,0,0 \right)}{z} \, dx' dy'##

That ##\frac{1}{z}## could be brought out of the integral and really the only thing you have to do is evaluate the ##x##- component of the integral above. You can pretty much bring everything out of the integral besides ##dx'dy'## and evaluating that integral is trivial.

PhDeezNutz said:
I would think for the vector potential along the z-axis

##\vec{A} \left( \vec{r} \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{\vec{K}}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r}' \right|}\,da'##
Ok.

## = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi}\int \frac{\left(K_0,0,0 \right)}{z} \, dx' dy'##
For a general element of area ##da'##,
##|\vec{r} - \vec r'| \neq z##

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
Ok.

For a general element of area ##da'##,
##|\vec{r} - \vec r'| \neq z##

I was going to argue with you. Realized I was wrong.

##\vec{A} \left( z \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{(K_0,0,0)}{\sqrt{s'^2 + Z^2}}\, 2 \pi s' ds'##

I think this is right OP. My apologies.

PhDeezNutz said:
I was going to argue with you. Realized I was wrong.

##\vec{A} \left( z \right) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{(K_0,0,0)}{\sqrt{s'^2 + Z^2}}\, 2 \pi s' ds'##
OK. But we don't want to give too much of the solution away. The OP needs to show some work.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
OK. But we don't want to give too much of the solution away. The OP needs to show some work.

Understood.

Likes TSny

1. What is a potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current?

A potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current is a mathematical representation of the potential energy associated with a current flowing on the surface of a disk. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the potential energy at any given point on the disk.

2. How is the potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current calculated?

The potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current element is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the current element, and the sine of the angle between the current element and the point. This law is then integrated over the entire surface of the disk to calculate the total potential vector (A).

3. What is the significance of the potential vector (A) in electromagnetism?

The potential vector (A) is significant in electromagnetism because it helps to describe the behavior of magnetic fields and currents in a given system. It can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space, and it is also used in the equations that govern the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. How does the potential vector (A) change with different surface current distributions?

The potential vector (A) changes with different surface current distributions because the distribution of current on the surface of the disk affects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. A more concentrated current distribution will result in a stronger potential vector (A) compared to a more spread out distribution.

5. Can the potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current be manipulated?

Yes, the potential vector (A) of a disk with a surface current can be manipulated by changing the magnitude or direction of the current, or by altering the shape or size of the disk. This can be useful in controlling the behavior of magnetic fields and currents in various applications, such as in electromagnets or electric motors.