Potetial energy change during heating

In summary: Q=mcΔT does not take potential energy into account.Q=mcΔT does not take potential energy into account.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

when heating i learned that only the kinetic energy component of internal energy increases. However, I also learned that potential energy is related to distance between the particles. So when i heat some solid and it expands does it mean the potential energy has changed as well? I don't think that is the reason for the expansion.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand that it moves faster but i don't think the amplitude of vibration should increase as i don't think the potential energy increases.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
... when heating i learned that only the kinetic energy component of internal energy increases ...

Maybe you read the above in a context where an ideal gas is assumed. In an ideal gas it is assumed that there are no intermolecular forces and so there is no potential energy.

grzz said:
Maybe you read the above in a context where an ideal gas is assumed. In an ideal gas it is assumed that there are no intermolecular forces and so there is no potential energy.

But what about solids? When I heat iron it expands but its potential energy should not increase so what's letting it expand?

If the iron expands its potential energy increases.

grzz said:
If the iron expands its potential energy increases.

So even as it heats up the potential energy changes as well? That's possible?

If the iron expands, the interatomic distances must have increased. But atoms attract each other. So the potential energy must increase.

grzz said:
If the iron expands, the interatomic distances must have increased. But atoms attract each other. So the potential energy must increase.

oh so when we calculate Q=mcΔT it is not complete since we have not taken potential energy into account?

When the temperature of a solid is increased, both internal KE and internal PE increase and the specific heat capacity c of a solid must take care of both these increases.

1. What is potential energy change during heating?

Potential energy change during heating is the change in the amount of stored energy in a substance as it is heated. This energy is stored in the bonds between molecules and can be released or absorbed during a heating process.

2. How does potential energy change during heating affect temperature?

The potential energy change during heating is directly related to the temperature of a substance. As the substance absorbs heat energy, its potential energy increases and its temperature rises. Conversely, as the substance releases heat energy, its potential energy decreases and its temperature decreases.

3. What factors affect potential energy change during heating?

The amount of potential energy change during heating is affected by the type of substance, its mass, and the amount of heat energy being applied. Different substances have different bond strengths and require varying amounts of heat energy to increase their potential energy. Additionally, the mass of the substance can affect how much heat energy is needed to raise its temperature.

4. How is potential energy change during heating related to phase changes?

During a phase change, such as melting or boiling, the potential energy of a substance remains constant while its temperature increases. This is because the added heat energy is being used to break the bonds between molecules and change the substance's phase, rather than increasing its potential energy.

5. Can potential energy change during heating be reversed?

Yes, potential energy change during heating can be reversed. As a substance cools, its potential energy decreases and it releases heat energy. This is why substances can change from a liquid to a solid state when cooled, as their potential energy decreases and the bonds between molecules become stronger.