Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powder XRD FCC spirals explanation

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    Hello All,

I've been reading about XRD and found this picture online:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aluminumpowderpattern.png

My question, which might be due to the lack of background as I'm an ECE guy, is why are the FCC lattice vectors depicted of Spirals whose minima lie on the vertical axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2
    The spirals are calculated to help find the lattice parameter of the sample under investigation.

The lattice parameter of the FCC lattice is changed as function of the polar angle. You look for the polar angle where the experimental data (circles, not spirals) cross the spirals - hopefully all at once. In the image this is indicated by the blue line.

I would think that these days a computer is able to find lattice parameters without such visual aids. But the papers cited are surprisingly recent.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks M Quack,

So as the polar angle is increased the distance from the different planes changes and that is why we get a Spiral? If tihs is the case then why do they all have minima at the vertical axis?

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    Or these spirals just come from spanning the lattice constant?

6. Jun 14, 2012 #5
    spanning the lattice constant.

7. Jun 14, 2012 #6
    Thanks a lot M Quack

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook