Power dissipated across a transistor regulator

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving Ohm's law and resistance for a zener diode. The first part of the problem is solved using KVL and the correct answer is determined. The second part of the problem has a possible typo, but is solved correctly when considering maximum power dissipation.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-13_10-41-38.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

For the 1st part
Ohms law and resistance across zener is 10V[/B]
I can't get 2nd

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1st part I took Vi/p = 18V[/B]
Putting KVL for left loop of source-->collector-->base-->zener-->ground
18 = Vcb + 10
So Vcb = 8V
And Vbe = 0.7V
So Vce = 8.7V Correct answer.

For second question,
P dissipated in transistor = Vce times total current = Vce times Ie
Ie = 10 - 0.7 divided by 1 K
=9.3mA
So P dissipated by transistor = 8.7 times 9.3 = 80.91 mW
Book answer is A.
Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_10-37-4.png
    upload_2017-12-13_10-37-4.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 473
  • upload_2017-12-13_10-38-0.png
    upload_2017-12-13_10-38-0.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 484
  • upload_2017-12-13_10-41-38.png
    upload_2017-12-13_10-41-38.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,264
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked the numbers as I'm on my phone but I suspect an error in the question. Try calculating the maximum power dissipation rather than the minimum. The max power dissipation is usually a much more important value to calculate as it determines the heat sink requirements for the transistor.

PS In this circuit you may not need a heatsink but the power dissipation in the transistor is the main reason why other circuits are sometimes preferred for higher power applications.

Likes jaus tail
Yup you're right. I get the correct answer if the consider the second question to have typo and be maximum. Thanks.

1. What is a transistor regulator?

A transistor regulator is an electronic circuit that regulates the flow of electrical current through a transistor. It is used to maintain a constant output voltage or current, even when the input voltage or load changes.

2. How does a transistor regulator work?

A transistor regulator works by using the transistor as a variable resistor. By varying the resistance of the transistor, the output voltage or current can be regulated. The regulator also includes feedback components that monitor the output and adjust the resistance of the transistor accordingly to maintain a constant output.

3. How is power dissipated across a transistor regulator?

Power is dissipated across a transistor regulator through heat. As the transistor regulates the flow of current, some of the energy is converted into heat and dissipated through the transistor's package and heat sink. The amount of power dissipated is determined by the voltage drop across the transistor and the current passing through it.

4. What factors affect the power dissipation of a transistor regulator?

The power dissipation of a transistor regulator is affected by the input voltage, the output voltage, the load current, and the thermal resistance of the transistor and its heat sink. Higher input and output voltage, as well as higher load current, will result in higher power dissipation. A lower thermal resistance of the transistor and heat sink will help dissipate the heat more efficiently.

5. How can power dissipation be reduced in a transistor regulator?

Power dissipation in a transistor regulator can be reduced by using a transistor with a lower thermal resistance and a more efficient heat sink. Additionally, using a switching regulator instead of a linear regulator can also reduce power dissipation, as switching regulators have a higher efficiency and dissipate less heat. Proper design and heat management techniques can also help reduce power dissipation in a transistor regulator.