Power dissipation question I^2 R

In summary: If you halve I then V also halves and the power goes down by one fourth.In summary, the power dissipated in a component is proportional to the current and voltage.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
Why is the graph of power dissipated against current a parabolic shape?

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-74072-QP-JUN18.PDF

question 28 in the multiple choice section near the bottom of the pdf
Relevant Equations
P = I * V
P = I ^2 R
I understand that when using the equation I^2 * R that current is meant to be constant in each component? I got the idea from this video

So how can we use this equation to find the relationship between varying current against power? As the current is at a constant?...

Physics news on Phys.org
bonbon22 said:
Problem Statement: Why is the graph of power dissipated against current a parabolic shape?
P = I ^2 R
Uh, when you plot P=(I^2)R what do you think you SHOULD get?

phinds said:
Uh, when you plot P=(I^2)R what do you think you SHOULD get?

if i have the equation p =current * voltage here the current is proportional to the power ? not to the current ^2

bonbon22 said:
if i have the equation p =current * voltage here the current is proportional to the power ? not to the current ^2
You need to re-read the question

phinds said:
You need to re-read the question
let me rephrase it then...
why is power dissipated = current ^2 * resistance and not Power times Current ... ?

bonbon22 said:
let me rephrase it then...
why is power dissipated = current ^2 * resistance and not Power times Current ... ?

bonbon22 said:
Relevant Equations: P = I * V

i don't get what your saying m8
is power proportional to current
or is power proportional to current squared ?

P = I * V is all well and good. On the surface, that looks like power (P) should be proportional to current (I). But that only works as long as you do not look closely at V and simply pretend that it is a constant.

V = I * R

In the situation at hand, you should be holding R constant, systematically varying I, measuring the resulting P and letting V be whatever it needs to be.

Likes bonbon22 and PeroK
bonbon22 said:
i don't get what your saying m8
is power proportional to current
or is power proportional to current squared ?

To add to the above: when there are many variables, you can't simply say ##A## is proportional to ##B##, as it may depend on what else is held constant.

##P = IV = I^2R##

is actually as good an example of this as any.

Another example is the acceleration for uniform circular motion:

##a = \omega v = \omega^2 r##

Likes bonbon22 and jbriggs444
PeroK said:
##a = \omega v = \omega^2 r##
One of my favorites is the ##r## dependency in ##a=\frac{4 \pi^2 r}{t^2} = \frac{v^2}{r}##

Likes bonbon22 and PeroK
Sorry if this is obvious but just in case you are struggling with the differences...

bonbon22 said:
I understand that when using the equation I^2 * R that current is meant to be constant in each component? I got the idea from this video

In the video the resistors are connected to a constant voltage so the current flowing is indeed constant.

The problem statement says..

Which graph shows how power dissipated P varies with current I in a component that obeys ohm's law?

So here the words "varies with current" means the current is an input variable. If you were doing the lab experiment you would be changing the current somehow and measuring the power.

If the component obeys ohm's law like a resistor then varying the current also varies the voltage, so in the equation..

P=IV

Both I and V would be changing because V is a function of I.

If you double I then V also doubles and the power goes up four times.

Likes bonbon22

1. What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation refers to the loss of energy in the form of heat when an electrical current flows through a resistive material. This occurs due to the resistance of the material, which converts some of the electrical energy into heat energy.

2. What is the formula for calculating power dissipation?

The formula for power dissipation is P = I^2 * R, where P is the power dissipated in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. Why is power dissipation important?

Power dissipation is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices. Excessive power dissipation can cause components to overheat, leading to malfunctions or even failure. It is also important to consider in the design and efficiency of electronic circuits.

4. How does power dissipation affect energy efficiency?

The higher the power dissipation, the lower the energy efficiency. This is because more energy is being lost in the form of heat rather than being used for its intended purpose. Thus, minimizing power dissipation is important for improving energy efficiency and reducing energy costs.

5. What are some methods for reducing power dissipation?

One way to reduce power dissipation is by using materials with lower resistance, such as copper instead of aluminum. Another method is to design circuits with lower voltage and current requirements. Additionally, implementing efficient cooling systems and using power management techniques can also help reduce power dissipation.