Current and power with transformers

In summary, the problem is to find the current and power in a transformer with a load resistor of 720R. The first way to find the current is to use the potential divider method, and the second way is to "transform" the load resistor to work out what the equivalent load would be on the primary side. The input voltage to the transformer is 150V.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on the following problem:

And ideal single phase transformer 240V/2880V is supplied with a 240V source via a resistance cable of 3ohm. If we connect a R=720ohm resistance to this, determine the primary current and the dissipated power in R.
(I'm sorry if some of the wording is wrong, I am translating the question into English ... )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-11-8_11-59-49.png

I tried to find the current in 2 different ways, and came to 80A each time.
For the dissipated power, I am really not sure how to incorporate this 720ohm. I read in my notes that Power in = Power out, but I feel like this isn't the answer for this situation..

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_11-59-49.png
    upload_2017-11-8_11-59-49.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I can follow your working. The voltage going into the transformer won't be 240V because some is lost across the 3R cable.

The way I would approach the problem is to "transform" the 720R load resistor to work out what the equivalent load would be on the primary side. Then use the potential divider method to work out the actual input voltage to the transformer.

Edit: If this is confusing start with a circuit diagram.

CWatters said:
Not sure I can follow your working. The voltage going into the transformer won't be 240V because some is lost across the 3R cable.

The way I would approach the problem is to "transform" the 720R load resistor to work out what the equivalent load would be on the primary side. Then use the potential divider method to work out the actual input voltage to the transformer.

You mean transform it so everything is on the primary side ? Or how do I transform it ?

CWatters said:

If I do this, I get an input voltage of 150V, which I then divide my 3ohm to get my current ?

Yes I mean transform it so everything is on the primary side. An example...

Lets say you had a 2:1 step down transformer with a 10R on the secondary side. That 10R would be equivalent to a 40R on the primary side...

Proof...

The secondary current Is = Vs/Rs. If N is the winding ratio the primary current Ip would be Is/N = Vs/NRs.

The equivalent resistance Rp on the primary side = Vp/Ip = Vp/(Vs/NRs) = N2Rs

If N = 2 and Rs = 10 then Rp = 40.

Cocoleia said:
If I do this, I get an input voltage of 150V, which I then divide my 3ohm to get my current ?

Yes the input voltage to the transformer is 150V but it's not across the 3R. The voltage across the 3R is 240-150V.

A
CWatters said:
Yes the input voltage to the transformer is 150V but it's not across the 3R. The voltage across the 3R is 240-150V.
ah, I see.

would the power then be the secondary current multiplied by 720^2 ?

Not 720 squared

You can use Is2*R or Vs2/R

CWatters said:
Not 720 squared

You can use Is2*R or Vs2/R
Perfect, thank you !

1. What is the purpose of a transformer?

A transformer is a device that is used to transfer electric energy from one circuit to another, without changing the frequency. It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction and is commonly used to step up or step down the voltage in a circuit.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer consists of two separate coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils. When an alternating current is passed through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the secondary coil, which results in the transfer of energy between the two coils.

3. What is the difference between current and power in a transformer?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred. In a transformer, the current in the primary coil is used to create a changing magnetic field, while the power is transferred to the secondary coil. The ratio of the current and power in the primary and secondary coils is determined by the transformer's turns ratio.

4. How do you calculate the power and current in a transformer?

The power in a transformer can be calculated by multiplying the voltage in the secondary coil by the current in the secondary coil. Similarly, the current in the secondary coil can be calculated by dividing the power by the voltage. The turns ratio can also be used to determine the power and current in the primary and secondary coils.

5. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage in the secondary coil, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types of transformers include isolation transformers, autotransformers, and variable transformers.