Power formula for circuit when another resistor is added in

In summary, the conversation on Chegg discusses solving for voltage using the formula P=V^2/R, with a given power of 36W and resistance of 25Ω, resulting in a voltage of 30V. The next step involves adding another resistor in series, with a total resistance of 40Ω, and using the same formula to solve for power, resulting in a power of 22.5W. There is confusion on why the formula P=I^2*R is not used in this scenario, but it is explained that the current will not be the same with an increase in resistance. The conversation also mentions solving a similar problem where R1 is less than R2 and the current remains the same.
bluesteels
Homework Statement
A resistor with R1 = 25.0 Ω is connected to a battery that has
negligible internal resistance and electrical energy is dissipated by R1
at a rate of 36.0 W. If a second resistor with R2 = 15.0 Ω is connected
in series with R1, what is the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by the two resistors?
Relevant Equations
P= V^2/R

P = I^2 * R
On Chegg they solve for V using P=V^2/R using 36W and R1= 25Ω, which is equal to 30V

then they add R1+R2 = 40Ω and they plug in P=V^2/R and solve for P which is 22.5W

I'm confused on why they didn't use P=I^2*R cause you know the system is in series so I is the same and solve for I then repeat the step above but use P=I^2*R

Physics news on Phys.org
bluesteels said:
I'm confused on why they didn't use P=I^2*R cause you know the system is in series so I is the same and solve for I then repeat the step above but use P=I^2*R
How are you determining I?

haruspex said:
How are you determining I?
i did P=I^2R and use P= 36W and R = 25Ω and solve for I which is 1.2A

bluesteels said:
i did P=I^2R and use P= 36W and R = 25Ω and solve for I which is 1.2A
The current will not be 1.2A with the two resistors being in series .

SammyS said:
The current will not be 1.2A with the two resistors being in series .
wait what you mean?? i did P=IR^2 and I just put R = 25 and P = 36 and solve for I then I get 1.2, If the current for R1 is 1.2 then R2 should also be 1.2 cause it in series.

After that I just use the same formula but this its P= 1.2 * (25+15)^2

bluesteels said:
put R = 25 and P = 36 and solve for I then I get 1.2,
That was the current with only R1. What makes you think the current will be the same when the resistance is increased?

haruspex said:
That was the current with only R1. What makes you think the current will be the same when the resistance is increased?
should be the same?? i did similar problem where R1 is less than R2 and the current is the same

bluesteels said:
should be the same?? i did similar problem where R1 is less than R2 and the current is the same
Resistance is literally the resistance to current flow…..with an extra resistor the resistance increases and the current is therefore not the same.

……however the voltage drop across the two after the current has encountered both resistors in the second situation should be the same as the voltage drop across the single resistor in the first situation. That’s the key to connecting both problems…..after all it’s the same battery.

Likes Delta2
bluesteels said:
And you got the right answer? Please post that problem so that we can see where your confusion lies.

bluesteels said:
The current in both resistors is the same when they are connected in series. This does not mean that that current is the same as the current flowing through R1 when R2 is not in the circuit at all. In fact, it cannot be the same as you will have a lower voltage drop over R1 when you add another resistor in series.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the power formula for a circuit when another resistor is added in?

The power formula for a circuit with an additional resistor is P = (V^2)/(R1 + R2), where P is power, V is voltage, and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors.

2. How does adding another resistor affect the power of a circuit?

Adding another resistor in series will decrease the overall power of the circuit, as the total resistance increases. In parallel, adding another resistor will increase the overall power of the circuit, as the total resistance decreases.

3. Is the power formula affected by the type of circuit (series or parallel)?

Yes, the power formula is affected by the type of circuit. In series circuits, the power formula is P = (V^2)/R, where R is the total resistance. In parallel circuits, the power formula is P = V^2/R, where R is the equivalent resistance.

4. Can the power formula be used for circuits with more than two resistors?

Yes, the power formula can be used for circuits with any number of resistors. For series circuits, the resistance of all resistors must be added together. For parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance must be calculated before using the power formula.

5. How does the power formula relate to Ohm's law?

The power formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. By manipulating this equation, we can derive the power formula P = (V^2)/R. This shows that power is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.