1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power loss in transmission lines (Electromagnetic Induction and Faraday's Law)

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    Show that the power loss in transmission lines, PL, is given by PL = (PT)^2 X R/(V^2), where PT is the power trasmitted to the user, V is the delivered voltage, and R is the resistance to the power lines.

I don't even know where to start. Im so confused by this chapter, I don't know what this question has to do with magnetic flux and Lenz's law and the other stuff in the chapter. Any help please?? :surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has nothing to do with Lenz law or flux, indeed.

Think of a simple circuit with two resistors (representing the resistance of the line and the resistance of the load (where the user is drawing power from).

You have [itex] P_L = R_1 I^2 [/itex] and [itex] P_T = R_2 I^2 [/itex] where [itex] R_1[/itex] is the resistance of the lines. You also have [itex] V = R_2 I [/itex] where V is the voltage delivered to the user. Use the last two equations to isolate I and plug in the first and you will get the answer. (also, you could use directly [itex] P_T = V I [/itex] which gets you to the answer faster).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?