Transmission cable problem involving power loss

• Thread starter hendrix7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power loss
hendrix7
Homework Statement
A transmission cable transmits electricity at 250A and 400kV and a resistance of 3 ohms. What is the power loss?
Relevant Equations
P = I^2R
V = IR
Using P = I2R
2502 x 3 = 187.5kW
Now, I'm pretty sure that this is correct but my question is how does V = IR fit in with this? So, I = 250 and R = 3 so V must be 750, but what does this 750 volts represent? A voltage drop between two points on the transmission cable? If so, where are the two points on the transmission cable that correspond to this potential difference? Am I missing something here? This is pretty new to me so I would much appreciate it if someone could put me straight here or clarify for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The input voltage of 400kV is reduced slightly at the far end by the resistive losses. The 750V drop is for the 2-way wire voltage drop from source to destination. You should get the same power loss if you do either calculation, using ##I^2R## loss or ##\frac{V^2}{R}## loss.

Likes hendrix7
berkeman said:
The input voltage of 400kV is reduced slightly at the far end by the resistive losses. The 750V drop is for the 2-way wire voltage drop from source to destination. You should get the same power loss if you do either calculation, using ##I^2R## loss or ##\frac{V^2}{R}## loss.
Thank you, berkeman, that seems clear to me now. I really appreciate that.

Likes berkeman

1. What causes power loss in transmission cables?

Power loss in transmission cables is primarily caused by resistance in the cable itself. As electricity flows through the cable, some of the energy is converted into heat due to resistance, resulting in a decrease in the amount of power that reaches the end of the cable.

2. How can power loss be minimized in transmission cables?

To minimize power loss in transmission cables, it is important to use materials with low resistance, such as copper or aluminum, for the cable itself. Additionally, using thicker cables can also help reduce power loss as there is more surface area for the electricity to flow through.

3. What are some common signs of power loss in transmission cables?

Some common signs of power loss in transmission cables include a decrease in voltage and an increase in temperature along the length of the cable. This can also lead to decreased efficiency and performance of the equipment being powered by the cable.

4. How can power loss in transmission cables be measured?

Power loss in transmission cables can be measured using a device called a voltmeter. This device measures the voltage at the beginning and end of the cable, and the difference between the two readings can indicate the amount of power loss that has occurred.

5. What steps can be taken to troubleshoot power loss in transmission cables?

If power loss is suspected in transmission cables, the first step is to check for any loose connections or damaged cables. If these are not the issue, then the cable should be tested for resistance and compared to the expected resistance for that type of cable. If the resistance is significantly higher, then the cable may need to be replaced.