Power Means Inequality (the geometric part)

In summary, the conversation was about the power means inequality, specifically the n=0 power mean or geometric mean. It was mentioned that the n=0 power mean is the limit as n->0, but the person was unsure of why that was true. They also asked for help in making their fraction look bigger. It was suggested to use L'Hopital's Rule to deal with the indeterminate form in the limit.
alphabitsabc
Hi everyone! So I'm trying to learn more about inequalities and the one I'm starting with is the power means inequality. But it all seems pretty intuitive except how they define the n=0 power mean (i.e. the geometric mean). I read that it's actually the limit as n->0, but I don't see why that's true. Any help? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you perhaps quote the 'power means' inequality? I may have seen it before under a different name, or under no name.

You're perhaps asking about
[tex](a^x+b^x)^{1/x}[/tex]

So the equality is that given [tex] r > s [/tex] and [tex] x_1, x_2, \ldots x_n \epsilon \; \Re [/tex] where [tex] s \geq 0[/tex] if any of the [tex] x_1, x_2, \ldots x_n = 0[/tex]. Then:
[tex] P(r) \geq P(s) [/tex]
where [tex] P(r) = \left \{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{(\frac{x_1^r + x_2^r \ldots + x_n^r}{n})^{1/r},} & {r \neq 0} \\
{\sqrt[n]{x_1 x_2 \ldots x_n},} & {r = 0} \\
\end{array}} \right.
[/tex]
And supposedly if we take the limit of P(r) to 0 we get P(0) but I don't see how that's true.

On another note, how do I make my fraction look bigger. It looks really small. Thanks!

In the limit, you have an indeterminate form like [tex]1^\infty[/tex]. The standard way to deal with that kind of indeterminate form is to take the log and then use L'Hopital's Rule. If you'd like me to work it out for you, let me know, but I think you can probably get it yourself from there.

Success! Thanks!

1. What is the definition of power means inequality (the geometric part)?

Power means inequality (the geometric part) is a mathematical concept that relates to the idea of inequality among numbers. It involves finding the relationship between the power means of two sets of numbers, which are calculated by taking the nth root of their product. The geometric part refers to the geometric mean, which is one type of power mean.

2. How is power means inequality (the geometric part) calculated?

To calculate power means inequality (the geometric part), you first need to determine the power means of the two sets of numbers. This is done by multiplying all the numbers in each set together and then taking the nth root, where n is the number of numbers in the set. Then, divide the larger power mean by the smaller one to get the geometric part.

3. What does the geometric part in power means inequality represent?

The geometric part in power means inequality represents the ratio between the larger and smaller power means. It is a measure of how much the larger power mean exceeds the smaller one, and thus indicates the degree of inequality between the two sets of numbers.

4. How is power means inequality (the geometric part) used in statistical analysis?

Power means inequality (the geometric part) is commonly used in statistical analysis to compare the level of inequality among different sets of data. It can also be used to analyze the distribution of wealth or income in a population, as well as to measure the level of diversity within a community.

5. Can power means inequality (the geometric part) be applied to any type of data?

Yes, power means inequality (the geometric part) can be applied to any type of numerical data, as long as there are at least two sets of numbers to compare. It is a versatile concept that can be used in various fields such as economics, sociology, and biology.