Power of a signal consisting of impulses only

  • Thread starter Thread starter alexei_kom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Signal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
alexei_kom
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello everybody.

I'm appologizing for a lame question, but taking for example A*cos(w*t) (whose spectrum is two impulses each of 0.5A in magnitude)-his power is 0.5A^2.
It can be interpreted as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses.

So, if I have a signal which consists of impulses only can I calculate his power as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses?

Thanks,
Alexei.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
alexei_kom said:
Hello everybody.

I'm appologizing for a lame question, but taking for example A*cos(w*t) (whose spectrum is two impulses each of 0.5A in magnitude)-his power is 0.5A^2.
It can be interpreted as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses.

So, if I have a signal which consists of impulses only can I calculate his power as a sum of squared magnitudes of its impulses?

Thanks,
Alexei.

A waveform A*cos(w*t) is just a sinewave with a peak amplitude of A and a frequency of w/2pi. So, it has a single frequency as its spectrum.
You can't say anything about the power unless you know the current being drawn or the resistance the voltage was being applied across.

Yes, you can work out the total power of a pulsed waveform by taking small slices of the waveform and, knowing the resistance of the load, applying E^2/ R to each one. You have to then take a mean value of all the measurements, including any zero values, to get the average power.
 
vk6kro said:
A waveform A*cos(w*t) is just a sinewave with a peak amplitude of A and a frequency of w/2pi. So, it has a single frequency as its spectrum.
You can't say anything about the power unless you know the current being drawn or the resistance the voltage was being applied across.

Yes, you can work out the total power of a pulsed waveform by taking small slices of the waveform and, knowing the resistance of the load, applying E^2/ R to each one. You have to then take a mean value of all the measurements, including any zero values, to get the average power.

Thank you!