1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a wave at a specific point

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    Q: A wave pulse traveling along a string of linear mass density 0.0026 kg/m is described by the relationship [tex]y = A_0 e^{-bx}\sin(kx - \omega t)[/tex] where [tex]A_0 = 0.0097 m, b = 0.9 m^{-1}, k = .88 m^{-1} and \oemga = 56 s^{-1}[/tex]. What is the power carried by this wave at the point [tex]x = 2.6 m[/tex]?

My book has: [tex]\wp = \frac{1}{2} \mu \omega^2 A^2 v[/tex] which is the "power associated with the wave" but yet we're to show "the power carried by this wave at the point x = 2.6 m". Plus the equation given isn't a normal wave function - I guess - since it has the coefficient [tex]e^{-bx}[/tex].

The book also has [tex]\wp = \frac{E_\lambda}{\Delta t}[/tex] so if I had a [tex]\Delta x[/tex] I could so something similar as before, that is [tex]\wp_{\Delta x} = \frac{E_{\Delta x}}{\Delta t}[/tex] but this isn't the same thing?

How should I proceed? thanks.

I guess I could take as A the whole [tex]A_0 e^{-bx}[/tex] and plug it into the equation (using the given values)?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That should do it. A is a time-decaying amplitude in this case.
  4. Nov 19, 2006 #3
    fantastic! thanks!! :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?