Power of EM Wave Absorbed by Circular Disk of Radius 2m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
NA19
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A plane polarized electromagnetic wave propagates
with Erms = 30 V/m. What is the power transmitted to
a circular disk of radius r = 2m, if all of the light is
absorbed by the disk and S is perpendicular to the
disk?


Homework Equations


There is a passage that goes along with this that states that I =Erms^2/(cμ0), and that I = P/A. u0 = 4 × 10–7 N•s^2/C^2.



The Attempt at a Solution


Basically, I plugged in the values of Erms and μ0 into the Intensity equation and then multiplied by A (pi*4) to get 94.2.

But the answer key says the answer is 30 and that instead of multiplying by pi*r^2, you multiply by r^2. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org