Power output of cyclist up slope at costant speed

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
mrsteve
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A bicyclist coasts down a 7.0 degree slope at a steady speed of 5.0 m/s. Assuming a total mass of 75 kg (bicycle plus rider), what must the cyclist's power output be to pedal up the same slope at the same speed?

Homework Equations


[tex]P=Fvcos\theta[/tex]
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]F_g=mg[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



I need to find the net force but since there is presumably no acceleration (constant velocity of 5.0 m/s) the only force is the force to overcome gravity and maintain a constant speed of 5.0 m/s. Correct?

I'm missing a formula somewhere I think. How do I find the force? Once I have that I can determine the Power using the first formula.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about force. When he climbs his potential energy changes.
 
Potential energy isn't covered until the next chapter. Also, I don't know the height, so how would I find PE?
 
What about

[tex]F_biker=mg\sin\theta => (75)(9.8)(\sin7)=9.0*10^1[/tex]

[tex]P=(90)(5.0)(\cos7)=4.47*10^2 => 4.5*10^2 = 450W[/tex]
 
Why do you have cos(7)? It doesn't change the answer much but I don't think it should be there.
 
I thought you needed it because theta is the angle between the force vector and the velocity vector.

No?

It changes the answer a lot without it. 90*50 = 4.5*10^3 I got 4.5*10^2
 
Check your math - cos(7) is 0.993, it can't change the answer tenfold. You have already taken care of the angle calculating vertical component of the force, assuming no friction vertical component is the only one doing work.