1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power output of cyclist up slope at costant speed

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bicyclist coasts down a 7.0 degree slope at a steady speed of 5.0 m/s. Assuming a total mass of 75 kg (bicycle plus rider), what must the cyclist's power output be to pedal up the same slope at the same speed?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P=Fvcos\theta[/tex]
    [tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
    [tex]F_g=mg[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I need to find the net force but since there is presumably no acceleration (constant velocity of 5.0 m/s) the only force is the force to overcome gravity and maintain a constant speed of 5.0 m/s. Correct?

I'm missing a formula somewhere I think. How do I find the force? Once I have that I can determine the Power using the first formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry about force. When he climbs his potential energy changes.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Potential energy isn't covered until the next chapter. Also, I don't know the height, so how would I find PE?

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

Borek

Speed and angle give you height change per second.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    What about

[tex]F_biker=mg\sin\theta => (75)(9.8)(\sin7)=9.0*10^1[/tex]

[tex]P=(90)(5.0)(\cos7)=4.47*10^2 => 4.5*10^2 = 450W[/tex]

7. Sep 25, 2011 #6
    Why do you have cos(7)? It doesn't change the answer much but I don't think it should be there.

8. Sep 25, 2011 #7
    I thought you needed it because theta is the angle between the force vector and the velocity vector.

No?

It changes the answer a lot without it. 90*50 = 4.5*10^3 I got 4.5*10^2

9. Sep 26, 2011 #8

Borek

Check your math - cos(7) is 0.993, it can't change the answer tenfold. You have already taken care of the angle calculating vertical component of the force, assuming no friction vertical component is the only one doing work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook