Cyclist coasting down a hill cons. of energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter totallyclone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Hill
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
totallyclone
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A bicyclist coasts down a 7.0° hill at a steady speed of 5.0m/s. Assuming a total mass of 75kg (bicycle plus rider), what must be the cyclist's power output to climb the same hill at the same speed?


Homework Equations


EK=1/2 mv2
EG=mgh
P=W/T


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried the question and this is what I got but I'm answer if this is right... not sure if there's a Force of friction though because I read the question and assumed there isn't any force of friction... but I'm unsure... :rolleyes:

P=W/T
P=-WGΔdcos180°/T
P=-WGvcos180°
P=-mgsin7.0°(5.0)cos180°
P=-(75)(9.8)sin7.0°(5.0)cos180°
P=448W
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if the cyclist goes down the hill with constant speed, then there must be some kind of force that's stopping him from accelerating, so you should account for it accordingly.
 
hi totallyclone! :smile:
totallyclone said:
A bicyclist coasts down a 7.0° hill at a steady speed of 5.0m/s. Assuming a total mass of 75kg (bicycle plus rider), what must be the cyclist's power output to climb the same hill at the same speed?
…
not sure if there's a Force of friction …

he couldn't coast (at a steady speed) if there wasn't friction, could he? :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi totallyclone! :smile:


he couldn't coast (at a steady speed) if there wasn't friction, could he? :wink:

so...THERE'S FRICTION!?