Power series and the interval of convergence

In summary, to find the interval of convergence for f(x) = 3/(1-x^4), one can use the Ratio Test and determine the restrictions on |x| for the series to converge.
GeekyGirl

Homework Statement

I need help finding the interval of convergence for f(x) = 3/(1-x^4).
I think that the summation would be [tex]\Sigma[/tex] 3 (x^4n) from n=0 to infinity, but I'm not sure how to get the interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

f(x) = 3/(1-x^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org
GeekyGirl said:

Homework Statement

I need help finding the interval of convergence for f(x) = 3/(1-x^4).
I think that the summation would be [tex]\Sigma[/tex] 3 (x^4n) from n=0 to infinity, but I'm not sure how to get the interval of convergence.
Here's your summation in LaTeX. Click it to see how I formatted it.
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} 3x^{4n}[/tex]
GeekyGirl said:

Homework Equations

f(x) = 3/(1-x^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Use the Ratio Test and see what restrictions there are on |x| for the series to converge.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical concept that represents a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It can be written in the form of ∑ an(x-c)n, where an is a coefficient and c is a constant.

2. What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for the variable x for which the power series converges. It can be found using the ratio test or the root test, and it may include or exclude the endpoints of the interval.

3. How do I determine the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series, represented by c, to the nearest point where the series converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test, and it is always a positive value.

4. Can the interval of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be infinite in either direction. This means that the power series converges for all real numbers or that it doesn't converge for any real number, respectively.

5. How can I use power series to approximate functions?

Power series can be used to approximate functions by finding the sum of a finite number of terms that closely match the function. This is especially useful for functions that are difficult to integrate or differentiate, as power series can provide a simpler representation.