Power series and the interval of convergence

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
GeekyGirl
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need help finding the interval of convergence for f(x) = 3/(1-x^4).
I think that the summation would be [tex]\Sigma[/tex] 3 (x^4n) from n=0 to infinity, but I'm not sure how to get the interval of convergence.


Homework Equations


f(x) = 3/(1-x^4)


The Attempt at a Solution


see above
 
Physics news on Phys.org
GeekyGirl said:

Homework Statement


I need help finding the interval of convergence for f(x) = 3/(1-x^4).
I think that the summation would be [tex]\Sigma[/tex] 3 (x^4n) from n=0 to infinity, but I'm not sure how to get the interval of convergence.
Here's your summation in LaTeX. Click it to see how I formatted it.
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} 3x^{4n}[/tex]
GeekyGirl said:

Homework Equations


f(x) = 3/(1-x^4)


The Attempt at a Solution


see above

Use the Ratio Test and see what restrictions there are on |x| for the series to converge.