1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Converge Absolutely

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for what values of x does the series converge absolutely?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\displaystyle \sum^{∞}_{n=1} \frac{4^n * x^n}{n!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ratio Test

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{4^{n+1} * x^{n+1}}{n+1)!} * \frac{n!}{4^n * x^n}[/itex]
    4x * limit (n->inf) [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{n+1} = 0[/itex]

What do I do now since the limit is zero? I asked a similar question in another thread, but the limit turned out to be 1. I am sure that this limit is zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What was your purpose in calculating that? How is that number, whether it is 0 or 1 or whatever, tell you about the "radius of convergence"?

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It means that the series converges for all values of x.

BTW, when you use the Ratio Test, you should be working with the absolute values of the terms in your series.

This is the ratio you should be working with:
    $$ \frac{4^{n+1} * |x|^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} * \frac{n!}{4^n * |x|^n}$$
    The result you get will be 4|x| ## \lim_{n \to \infty} 1/(n + 1)## = 0, which places no limits on the values of x.

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4
    do i leave the answer at 4|x| limn→∞1/(n+1) = 0 and put -inf < x < inf. or do i need to prove this somehow?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted