1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power transfer and impedence matching.

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    What is the physical explanation for the power transfer in a circuit being maximum when the resistance of the system is equal to the internal resistance?

maybe heat loss?

any help would be appreciated as i understand the mathematical proof but do not know much about the physical causes.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the resistance of the load [itex]R_\mathrm{load}[/itex] is very low (so that the current I is approximately constant through the load and independent of [itex]R_\mathrm{load}[/itex]), then the power transfer [itex]I^2R_\mathrm{load}[/itex] will be small. If the resistance of the load is very high (so that the voltage V is approximately constant across the load and independent of [itex]R_\mathrm{load}[/itex]), then the power transfer [itex]V^2/R_\mathrm{load}[/itex] will be small. In between these two extremes is a happy medium, specifically at [itex]R_\mathrm{load}=R_\mathrm{source}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook