Why does having a high input impedance and low output impeda

In summary: No, Google voltage divder circuits and do a little readng. You'll find that the Voltage Divider equaton is like this:V_{out} = V_{in} \frac{R_d}{R_i + R_d}Try that search, and try answering again. :smile:
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

Say you connect Circuit A with low output impedance to circuit B with high input impedance. Why does this cause minimal voltage drop compared to connecting them the other way around (high output to low input).

Homework Equations

P = V^2/R
P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing that the power must stay the same when going from circuit A to circuit B, so when the resistance increases, the voltage drops to keep the power equal. But why does this cause a "minimal" voltage drop. Wouldn't matching the impedance be the best way reduce the voltage drop?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:

Homework Statement

Say you connect Circuit A with low output impedance to circuit B with high input impedance. Why does this cause minimal voltage drop compared to connecting them the other way around (high output to low input).

Homework Equations

P = V^2/R
P = IV

I am guessing that the power must stay the same when going from circuit A to circuit B, so when the resistance increases, the voltage drops to keep the power equal. But why does this cause a "minimal" voltage drop. Wouldn't matching the impedance be the best way reduce the voltage drop?
Think about Vin and Vout. When the output resistance of a stage is high into a low-input impedance stage, what happens to the Vin seen by the 2nd stage? Think voltage dividers... :smile:

Likes scottdave
berkeman said:
Think about Vin and Vout. When the output resistance of a stage is high into a low-input impedance stage, what happens to the Vin seen by the 2nd stage? Think voltage dividers... :smile:

I've never learned about voltage dividers. Would the Vin in the 2nd stage be larger than the Vout in the 1st stage?

alexdr5398 said:

Homework Equations

P = V^2/R
P = IV

I think you are confusing maximum power transfer and minimum signal (voltage) loss.

alexdr5398 said:
I've never learned about voltage dividers. Would the Vin in the 2nd stage be larger than the Vout in the 1st stage?
No, Google voltage divder circuits and do a little readng. You'll find that the Voltage Divider equaton is like this:

[tex]V_{out} = V_{in} \frac{R_d}{R_i + R_d}[/tex]

Try that search, and try answering again. :smile:

1. Why is having a high input impedance important?

Having a high input impedance means that the input of a circuit is able to take in a signal without drawing significant current from the source. This is important because it ensures that the source is not affected by the circuit's input, allowing for accurate measurements and preventing distortion of the signal.

2. How does a high input impedance affect circuit performance?

A high input impedance allows a circuit to maintain a high level of sensitivity, meaning it can detect and measure small changes in the input signal. It also helps to reduce noise and interference, leading to a cleaner output signal.

3. What are the benefits of a low output impedance?

A low output impedance allows a circuit to deliver a larger amount of current to the load. This is beneficial because it ensures that the output signal remains strong and stable, even when connected to a load with a lower impedance.

4. Can a high input impedance and low output impedance be achieved simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to design a circuit with both a high input impedance and a low output impedance. This is often done by using specialized components, such as operational amplifiers, which have high input impedance and low output impedance characteristics.

5. In which applications is a high input impedance and low output impedance most important?

A high input impedance and low output impedance are particularly important in applications that involve amplification, such as in audio equipment or sensor circuits. They are also crucial in precision measurement and data acquisition systems, where accurate and reliable signal processing is essential.