Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powerline Internet: Bypassing High Inductance tranformers using ultrasound

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone. I was wondering about something I just read with wireless energy transfer and resonant enery transfer on Wikipedia.org. What if you send a large ammount of ultrasound tuned to a certain frequency over the AC/DC outlet plug. Would it get to the Transformer? Would the transformer's inductor and the magnetic field it creates oscillate at the frequency of the ultrasound? Is there some way possible to bypass a high-pass filter(50-100hz transformer) to send much higher frequency signals(above 1ghz-8ghz+) over the powerline?
    If there is a signal on the line at said frequency will the tuned(via ultrasound vibrating the inductors at the same frequency of the carrier) transformer's magnetic field induct the carrier signal past the transformer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2
    Power line carrier systems have been around for a long time. In the case of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines), couplers are used to bypass transformers and repeaters are used to compensated for line losses. BPL uses frequencies higher than ultra sound, usually around 10 - 30 mhz. Because power lines are not designed to carry frequencies in this range they are very inefficient and radiate much of their energy.

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think you must be referring to RF electrical signals with frequencies in excess of 20kHz rather than "ultrasound". Unfortunately, there tend to be high losses in transformers at such high frequencies (and all the way up). It is possible to minimise the loss at a specific frequency, with appropriate filtering and a bypass around a transformer but this would require a 'special' modification which would introduce health and safety issues.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook