Practical measurements of ramjet engine

In summary, the person is trying to design a ramjet engine and needs measurements of its parts. They found a website that offers blueprints and measurements, but they need help from someone with more experience in jet engines.
Gabrielito
Hello everyone
I am trying to design a ramjet engine. For that I need measurements of its parts. Does anyone know how to calculate them or have a link to a website where I could find more information?

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) Designing ramjets requires extensive technical knowledge .

(2) If you did manage to design and build one how would you ever test it ?

What kind of measurements are you looking for exactly? My guess is you can find pretty much any measurement device you need via a simple internet search...

How will you take measurements of parts of something that is in currently in design?

As I understand the question op wants blueprints and technical data for purpose of building one .

Odd use of the term 'design' then...

Yes, my bad. I didn't meant that I want to create something new. At the moment I am trying to replicate (that's probably the word) ramjet in CAD. I was looking on the internet for images, sheets, blueprints and I did found some. However, there are no formulas for sizes and all I could do was to create core of engine just from eye. So I want to know if here is anyone who has experience in jet engines theory and could give more info, like websites, books or anything interesting.

Blueprints always say on them what scale they are drawn to.

One of the visit page links in first link above leads here :

http://jim-quinn8.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bristol-siddeley-engines-limited.html

Be sure not to miss it - especially the pages near the end about ram jets .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Gabrielito
Wow Nidum, that gave me more insight in what I want to do. Thank you muchos.

1. What is a ramjet engine and how does it work?

A ramjet engine is a type of jet engine that operates by using the forward motion of the aircraft to compress incoming air before combustion, instead of using a compressor. This allows the engine to operate at supersonic speeds. The air is then mixed with fuel and ignited, producing thrust to propel the aircraft forward.

2. What are the practical measurements used to evaluate a ramjet engine?

The practical measurements used to evaluate a ramjet engine include thrust, specific fuel consumption, efficiency, and operating temperature. These measurements can provide insight into the performance and efficiency of the engine.

3. How is thrust measured in a ramjet engine?

Thrust is typically measured by using a thrust stand, which is a device that supports the engine and measures the force it produces. The amount of thrust can be calculated by measuring the amount of deflection in the stand caused by the engine's exhaust.

4. What is specific fuel consumption and why is it important for a ramjet engine?

Specific fuel consumption (SFC) is a measure of how much fuel is needed to produce a unit of thrust. It is an important measurement for ramjet engines because it can indicate the efficiency of the engine. A lower SFC means the engine is more fuel-efficient, which can result in longer flight times and lower operating costs.

5. How do operating temperatures affect the performance of a ramjet engine?

Operating temperatures can have a significant impact on the performance of a ramjet engine. If the operating temperature is too low, the fuel may not ignite properly, resulting in lower thrust and efficiency. On the other hand, if the temperature is too high, it can cause damage to the engine components. Therefore, it is important to carefully monitor and control the operating temperature for optimal performance.