Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practical measurements of ramjet engine

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone
    I am trying to design a ramjet engine. For that I need measurements of its parts. Does anyone know how to calculate them or have a link to a website where I could find more information?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) Designing ramjets requires extensive technical knowledge .

(2) If you did manage to design and build one how would you ever test it ???

4. Oct 2, 2015 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of measurements are you looking for exactly? My guess is you can find pretty much any measurement device you need via a simple internet search...

5. Oct 2, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How will you take measurements of parts of something that is in currently in design?

6. Oct 2, 2015 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I understand the question op wants blueprints and technical data for purpose of building one .

7. Oct 2, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Odd use of the term 'design' then...

8. Oct 2, 2015 #7
    Yes, my bad. I didn't meant that I want to create something new. At the moment I am trying to replicate (that's probably the word) ramjet in CAD. I was looking on the internet for images, sheets, blueprints and I did found some. However, there are no formulas for sizes and all I could do was to create core of engine just from eye. So I want to know if here is anyone who has experience in jet engines theory and could give more info, like websites, books or anything interesting.

9. Oct 2, 2015 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Blueprints always say on them what scale they are drawn to.

10. Oct 2, 2015 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Oct 3, 2015 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the visit page links in first link above leads here :

http://jim-quinn8.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bristol-siddeley-engines-limited.html [Broken]

Be sure not to miss it - especially the pages near the end about ram jets .

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Oct 6, 2015 #11
    Wow Nidum, that gave me more insight in what I want to do. Thank you muchos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook