Practice Problems in Naval Achitecture

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an online resource for practice problems in naval architecture, particularly on ship motion. One suggestion was a set of lectures available in a PDF format. Another recommendation was to check the MIT OCW website, where the Ocean Engineering department now houses the N.A. department. The conversation also mentioned a longer book titled "Practical Ship Hydrodynamics" by Volker Bertram, which was found online.
OrangeDog
This will be a long shot...Does anyone know of an online resource where I can get practice problems in naval architecture. Specifically, on ship motion? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
OrangeDog said:
This will be a long shot...Does anyone know of an online resource where I can get practice problems in naval architecture. Specifically, on ship motion? Thanks
Here is one set of lectures which have a few problems in each chapter:

http://www.shipmotions.nl/DUT/LectureNotes/ShipHydromechanics_Intro.pdf

You might also try the MIT OCW website. I believe Ocean Engineering is now the home of the N.A. department at MIT now.

Of course! I forgot about MIT OCW. And I have that PDF already, only the first 3 chapters have practice problems. This book is a lot longer:
"Practical Ship Hydrodynamics" by Volker Bertram. I found it online.

1. What is the purpose of "Practice Problems in Naval Architecture"?

"Practice Problems in Naval Architecture" is a book that provides a collection of real-world problems and solutions related to naval architecture. It is designed to help students and professionals in the field of naval architecture to apply theoretical knowledge to practical situations.

2. Who is the target audience for "Practice Problems in Naval Architecture"?

The target audience for this book includes students and professionals in the field of naval architecture, as well as anyone interested in learning more about the design and construction of ships and other marine structures.

3. What topics are covered in "Practice Problems in Naval Architecture"?

This book covers a wide range of topics, including ship geometry, stability, hydrostatics, resistance, propulsion, and structural design. It also includes problems related to ship design, such as load calculations and ship motions.

4. How can "Practice Problems in Naval Architecture" be used?

This book can be used as a supplement to traditional textbooks or as a standalone resource for self-study. It provides a practical approach to learning naval architecture and can help readers develop problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

5. Are the solutions in "Practice Problems in Naval Architecture" applicable to real-world situations?

Yes, the solutions in this book are based on real-world problems and can be applied to practical situations in the field of naval architecture. They are also accompanied by detailed explanations and diagrams to help readers understand the concepts and their applications.