Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practicing engineering in Canada with Bsc Physics and MEng.

  1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    I will have a Bsc in physics and plan to go on to a Masters of Engineering program (Nuclear). However, I know that you need to have a Bsc in engineering to be able to practice engineering. I read somewhere that it is possible to become a 'engineer' with the path I've taken. Does anyone have any clue as to how?
    I live in Alberta, Canada and I've contacted APEGGA (the body that governs the practice of engineering in Alberta), but its going to be awhile until I get a response. If anyone could provide me with some insight on what I am up against, I would appreciate it!

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I'm not aware of any MEng programs (in Alberta) focusing on Nuclear Engineering. I have personally known of people who have become P.Eng. (or at least EIT, on the way to P.Eng), but they've gone through M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs, and jumped through all the hoops that APEGGA asked them to, without complaining (hoops being taking the 'fluff' courses that most undergrads take for granted / sleep through, which then turn out to be the more important ones out in the work force).

    As an MEng is course-based, and usually only meant to happen over the course of 8 months to a year, you'll probably be hard-pressed to fit in your courses as well as the additional courses that APEGGA will want you to take, and find a supervisor who can sign off on 'work under a P.Eng' (assuming you want any EIT credit from your schooling).

    For comments on the M.Sc. / Ph.D. route, or for second undergrad, see my comments in this thread:
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply MATLABdude. That was the thread I was trying to look for. I may have confused myself. I will probably be applying to a Nuclear Engineering program out in the east. And its most probable that I'll have to find work over there since there isn't and nuclear plants in Alberta. Best bet is probably contact the university that I will be going to..
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook