1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precise Definition of a Limit at Negative Infinity

1. Aug 24, 2014 #1
    I'm working through some problems from Stewart's Calulus, 6ed. and am having some difficulty with certain limit proofs. In particular, there is no definition provided for limits of the form:

$$ \lim_{x \to - \infty} f(x) = L $$

One of the exercises is to come up with a formal definition for such a proof - which I did and used successfully a few times about a month ago when I was working through that section - but I want to make sure that my definition is really correct and not just lucky for those two problems.

I would suspect the definition of such a limit to be something like:

We say

$$ \lim_{x \to - \infty} f(x) = L $$

if for every ##\epsilon>0## there exists ##N## such that ##x < N \implies |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##.

Is this the correct precise definition of such a limit? I was unable to find an answer browsing google - most websites seem to provide the precise definition for "normal" limits and for limits at positive infinity but not at negative infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sounds good.

4. Aug 24, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

5. Aug 24, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would sound even better if you had written ##x > N##, but I'm pretty sure the < was just a typo...

6. Aug 24, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The OP wrote it correctly because the limit is for ##x## going to ##-\infty##.

7. Aug 24, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My apologies. Couldn't imagine such a quirk; proves how rusty one can get with old age... :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted