Precise linear motion output from rotary input

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for precise linear oscillatory motion from a rotary input for a compact carving tool. Various ideas are suggested, such as using a multibody system or a camshaft with variable lobes. The possibility of adjusting the stroke length on a slider-crank mechanism is also mentioned, but a practical solution has not yet been found.
JJ21
Hi,

I need to get a precise linear oscillatory motion from a rotary input? Its for a compact carving tool. Any ideas on how to control the displacement? Thnks

Engineering news on Phys.org
JJ21 said:
Hi,

I need to get a precise linear oscillatory motion from a rotary input? Its for a compact carving tool. Any ideas on how to control the displacement? Thnks

Strictly speaking the bolded words are mutually exclusive. You simply cannot have linear oscillatory motion. You need to place some constraints on your needs. For example over what range do you need approximately linear motion.

Sorry, by linear oscillatory motion i meant reciprocating motion. It would be over several fixed ranges from 1mm to 3mm for example.

It would also be possible to use some form of a camshaft which has varibly sized lobes for adjutsing the travel. This would also make it possible to have the motor located parallel to the reciprocacting point, rather than perpandicular to it.

Thanks for the ideas! I've been researching how to vary the stroke length of a slider-crank mechanism and have found a few methods but no "practical" solution of how the slider-crank could be adjusted in real life for example the slider-crank mechanism attached below.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• slider crank.jpg
    slider crank.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 639
As Fred mentioned, you can have various holes drilled on the crank (i.e. the radius of the rotating arm). That will change the stroke.

If you need this updated in real-time, then a more complex solution might be needed.

1. What is "Precise linear motion output from rotary input"?

"Precise linear motion output from rotary input" refers to a mechanism or system that converts rotational motion into linear motion with a high level of accuracy and precision. This technology is commonly used in various industries, such as manufacturing and robotics, to achieve precise positioning and movement.

2. How does "Precise linear motion output from rotary input" work?

This technology works by using a rotary input, such as a motor or crank, to rotate a lead screw or ball screw. The rotation of the screw is then translated into linear motion by a nut or ball bearing, resulting in precise and controlled movement.

3. What are the advantages of using "Precise linear motion output from rotary input"?

The main advantage of this technology is its ability to achieve highly accurate and repeatable linear motion, which is essential in many applications. It also offers a compact design, high load carrying capacity, and low friction, making it suitable for a wide range of industries and applications.

4. What are the potential applications of "Precise linear motion output from rotary input"?

This technology is commonly used in CNC machines, 3D printers, robotic arms, and other automated systems that require precise and controlled linear motion. It is also used in medical equipment, aerospace technology, and other industrial and commercial applications.

5. How can I incorporate "Precise linear motion output from rotary input" into my project or research?

If you are interested in implementing this technology, you can start by researching and understanding the principles and components involved. There are also many suppliers and manufacturers that offer a wide range of options for lead screws, ball screws, and other components needed for this type of motion output. Additionally, you can seek guidance from experts or consult with engineers to determine the best approach for your specific project or research.