1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precise linear motion output from rotary input

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I need to get a precise linear oscillatory motion from a rotary input? Its for a compact carving tool. Any ideas on how to control the displacement? Thnks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strictly speaking the bolded words are mutually exclusive. You simply cannot have linear oscillatory motion. You need to place some constraints on your needs. For example over what range do you need approximately linear motion.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Sorry, by linear oscillatory motion i meant reciprocating motion. It would be over several fixed ranges from 1mm to 3mm for example.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

minger

Science Advisor

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would also be possible to use some form of a camshaft which has varibly sized lobes for adjutsing the travel. This would also make it possible to have the motor located parallel to the reciprocacting point, rather than perpandicular to it.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    Thanks for the ideas! I've been researching how to vary the stroke length of a slider-crank mechanism and have found a few methods but no "practical" solution of how the slider-crank could be adjusted in real life for example the slider-crank mechanism attached below.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. Oct 26, 2009 #8

minger

Science Advisor

As Fred mentioned, you can have various holes drilled on the crank (i.e. the radius of the rotating arm). That will change the stroke.

If you need this updated in real-time, then a more complex solution might be needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook