1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precursor to brachistochrone problem

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    Another long question but not that hard. Most of the writing is my work/questions
    According to my prof if i cna solve this... the resulting relation can be used to solve Bernoulli's problem

For [tex] \delta \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} F(x,y(x),\dot{y}(x)) dx = 0 [/tex]
    where [tex] \dot{y} = \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]
    Show that if [itex] F = F(y,\dot{y}) [/itex] only (not dependant of x explicitly) then the quantity
    [tex] H = \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} - F [/tex]
    is a constant. That is [itex] \frac{dH}{dx} = 0 [/itex].

is this the total derivative (like it asks) of H wrt x? Since F does depend on y and y dot... which depend on x... then would hteir derivatives wrt x be included in the rightmost expression below?
    [tex] \frac{dH}{dx} = \frac{d \dot{y}}{dx} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} + \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y} dx} - \frac{dF}{dx} [/tex
    is this true >> [tex] \frac{d \dot{y}}{\partial \dot{y}} =1 [/tex] ??
    in that case all we're left with (if the dH/dx is correct) is
    [tex] \frac{dH}{dx} = \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y} dx} [/tex]
    if i were to differentiate the expression for F
    [tex] \delta \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} F(x,y(x),\dot{y}(x)) dx = 0 [/tex]
    wrt to y dot and x i would get zero, yes?
    SO dH/dx = 0?

Determine the expression for H if F = 1/2 mv^2 - V(x) and explain the physical significance of this quantity.
    is this correct? chain rule application everywhere
    [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} = m \dot{x} \frac{d \dot{x}}{d \dot{y}} - \frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{y}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{y}} [/tex]

then [tex] H = \dot{y} m \dot{x} \frac{d \dot{x}}{d \dot{y}} - \frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{y}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{y}} - \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]

the physical significance... hmm ...
    H is a consnat quantity wrt x. But im not sure how to interpret this past that part.

Please help! Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. You are asked for the total derivative and you can show that it will reduce to the partial derivative (the two extra terms : [itex]\dot{y}\partial H/\partial y} + \ddot{y}\partial H/\partial{\dot{y} [/itex] will cancel off) which is clearly = 0.

2. You've started off on the wrong foot...

First notice that F = F(x, dx/dt), since v=dx/dt

So, [tex] H = \dot{x} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{x}} - F [/tex]

When you do it correctly, the pysical significance will pop right out !
  4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    where did you get [itex]\dot{y}\partial H/\partial y} + \ddot{y}\partial H/\partial{\dot{y} [/itex] from?

also domnt u mena F(y,dy/dt)? Or do you actually mean it for x?
    The former is in the question...
  5. Feb 1, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]dH/dx = \partial H/\partial x + (\partial H/\partial y)dy/dx + (\partial H/\partial\dot{y}) d\dot{y}/dx [/tex]

No, it's the latter which is in the question. What you are given in part 1 is the general form in terms of some general parameters. In part 2, you are given :

[tex]F(x,\dot{x}) = \frac{1}{2}m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]

where [itex]\dot{x} = dx/dt[/itex]
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  6. Feb 2, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That H is a constant ON the equations of motion !

That is

[tex] \frac{dH}{dx}= - \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{\delta F}{\delta y} [/tex]

,where [itex] \frac{\delta F}{\delta y} [/itex] is the Euler-Lagrange (variational) derivative of the lagrangian.

7. Feb 2, 2006 #6
    also in this question... what is the partial derivative of F wrt x zero? Is it because the action is zero?

for hte second one since [tex] F = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \dot{x} + \frac{\partial V}{\partail \dot{x}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{x}} [/tex] ...(1 )

so far so good?
    im just wondering if the partial of V wrt to x dot is zero becuase V would not depend on x dot because of its definition?
    [tex] F(x,\dot{x}) = - \nabla V(x) [/tex] ?
    so then when i sub 1 into the expression for H
    [tex] H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 - V(x) [/tex] this is given that the partial of V wrt x dot is zero. THis means that H is the force exerted on the particle? Doesnt this mean that H is invariant of F, for a potential that does not depend on the time deriavitve of x?
  8. Feb 2, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. But there's a sign mistake in the solution. The sign of V in F(x,v) has been changed (looks like I made that mistake in my previous post - sorry !)

PS : No time to look at the rest now.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  9. Feb 2, 2006 #8
    Correction to the mistake

so the expression for H (the hamiltonian, apparently)
    [tex] H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) = T + V = E [/tex]

Thus H represents the total energy of the system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?