1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing to apply for computer science as first degree

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    I have always wanted to apply for Mathematics in university but lately I have developed an interest in computer science(after having read some parts of the book 'An introduction to parallel algorithms and architectures') - what other books should I read and how do oxbridge interviews go?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much - it is certainly very helpful

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    A number of other UK universities offer joint mathematics and computer science degrees. Some have "mathematics with computer science" degrees, where there is a higher maths content.

Entry requirements for Oxford are A*AA. They also don't require Further Mathematics, which is cool.

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    Oxford and Cambridge have different interview procedures, and even in the same university different departments have different approaches. I think that Oxford tends to conduct its interviews over 2 or 3 days, with applicants staying in college over this period, while Cambridge tends to have applicants down for just one day. I believe Cambridge often requires candidates to sit STEP papers, which are conducted externally and at a different time, while Oxford is more likely to set its own internal exams which are sat during the interview period. Both Oxford and Cambridge are flexible with their formal entry requirements, though entry standards are very high. I don't think there is much distinction in the interviews themselves. Something that many applicants coming from school struggle with is the idea that the questions are usually chosen to be a little beyond what the interviewers feel the student knows. The aim is not so much to find out how well a student has been taught but how well he or she can adapt to unfamiliar problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook