Prerequisite of the book "Linear Algebra done right"

Dear Fellows,
I have recently completed the study of Stewart's calculus. Next, I want to read Linear Algebra.

I have bought Sheldon Axler's "Linear Algebra done right" textbook. I want to know if my knowledge of calculus is enough to tackle this book or should I first read from a more basic Linear Algebra textbook before moving on to Axler? If so, please suggest me such a book that can lay the foundation.

Cheers,

-Ravenclaw

Answers and Replies

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Calculous and linear algebra are fairly independent subjects. I don't think you should worry about that. Although I am not familiar with your chosen text, my understanding is that it has a somewhat unusual approach and describes things as operators, rather than tangible matrices. That may leave gaps in your practical knowledge.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Take a look at this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-algebra-linear-algebra
It specifically mentions Friedberg as a pre-req. These books are both looking at linear algebra in a proof-based way as a mathematician would.

For a book that treats linear algebra in a way similar to how Stewart cover's calculus, consider these two:
(1) Introduction to Linear Algebra (5th ed) by Strang.
(2) Linear Algebra step-by-step by Singh
Linear Algebra by Lay is also frequently recommended.

Also, consider watching the brilliant linear algebra videos by 3blue1brown:
These videos brilliantly convey intuition.

Likes Highwire, penta-d and PcumP_Ravenclaw
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i do not recommend axler for you now. it is terse and abstract, and theoretical, and omits some very useful computational aspects. i suggest friedberg, insel and spence, or shilov, or even much easier books.

Last edited:
Likes penta-d, MyWrathAcademia and FactChecker