Prerequisite of the book "Linear Algebra done right"

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Messages
105
Reaction score
4
Dear Fellows,
I have recently completed the study of Stewart's calculus. Next, I want to read Linear Algebra.

I have bought Sheldon Axler's "Linear Algebra done right" textbook. I want to know if my knowledge of calculus is enough to tackle this book or should I first read from a more basic Linear Algebra textbook before moving on to Axler? If so, please suggest me such a book that can lay the foundation.

Cheers,

-Ravenclaw
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculous and linear algebra are fairly independent subjects. I don't think you should worry about that. Although I am not familiar with your chosen text, my understanding is that it has a somewhat unusual approach and describes things as operators, rather than tangible matrices. That may leave gaps in your practical knowledge.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PcumP_Ravenclaw
Take a look at this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-algebra-linear-algebra
It specifically mentions Friedberg as a pre-req. These books are both looking at linear algebra in a proof-based way as a mathematician would.

For a book that treats linear algebra in a way similar to how Stewart cover's calculus, consider these two:
(1) Introduction to Linear Algebra (5th ed) by Strang.
(2) Linear Algebra step-by-step by Singh
Linear Algebra by Lay is also frequently recommended.

Also, consider watching the brilliant linear algebra videos by 3blue1brown:

These videos brilliantly convey intuition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: The_Eternal_Observer, Highwire, penta-d and 1 other person
i do not recommend axler for you now. it is terse and abstract, and theoretical, and omits some very useful computational aspects. i suggest friedberg, insel and spence, or shilov, or even much easier books.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: The_Eternal_Observer, penta-d, Elementalnature and 1 other person