1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites for graduate complex analysis?

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    I'm wondering whether I could take graduate level complex analysis this spring. I planned on taking complex variables (undergraduate course), but unfortunately it conflicts with another course I want to take. I'm currently taking basic real analysis (not at the level of Rudin), point-set topology, and advanced linear algebra, so do you think I'll be mathematically mature enough by next January to take the course, or am I out of my mind?

I'm also willing to study basic complex analysis over the winter break, if that'll help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Usually Complex analysis does not need many prerequisites. I think you will be fine.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Be sure to study the complex variables course over the winter break. It will prove to be useful.

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    What's a good book to start learning? Would you guys recommend the course to someone who's only taken advanced linear algebra as an upper level math course (no analysis at all)?

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    Schaum's "Complex Variables" problems book is pretty good, recommended to me by a math grad student for my complex variables course, light on the theory though. Try that and any notes from other universities that are available freely on the web, you'd be surprised at the quality of some of the stuff you can find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook