1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites for Plasma Physics and Fusion

1. Jun 26, 2015 #1
    Hello I am looking to pursue a master or Ph.D in plasma physics focusing on fusion tokamak reactors.

I have an undergrad in Comp Sci and am starting the necessary physics work to apply to grad school. Besides electromagnetics, are there other areas I should focus on?

What are the best websites and/or resources to get started in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2015 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What sort of work in Plasma physics?

In general, plasma physics would be a good start. :wink: Also: non-linear dynamics and computational physics (shouldn't be too far from what you know). You should do electrodynamics. Atom-light interactions, material/solid-state/condensed matter physics (plasma-material interactions are a big area of study at the moment), and a little nuclear physics can't hurt either. You should make sure you have the maths background - vector calculus, ODE's and PDE's are a must.

For non-linear dynamics, Strogatz is a very good start. For E&M, Griffiths is a good start, and once you've mastered that, Jackson.

4. Jun 26, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you explain what "... am starting the necessary physics work.... " means here? Are you enrolling in another undergraduate program? Are you taking part-time classes? Or are you just watching YouTube videos and reading Wikipedia?

Zz.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    Hey sorry for the late reply...

I took engineering physics 20 years ago for the Comp. Sci program I was in so I am taking them again as a refresher before I apply for the physics school. I am also going to take EM non-matricular.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook