Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Presidential Debate #1 Observations

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    Use this thread for commentary on the 1st Presidential Debate. It starts at 9PM EST Oct 3rd. Please keep debate of issues to a minimum and focus on observations strictly relevant to the debate.

I'll be watching the live stream online at http://www.youtube.com/politics

Moderation will be strict. Have a nice day :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    9pm tomorrow, you should clarify.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    After all, they will.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Pre-debate observations:

1. Both sides are working hard to lower expectations, in order that they may easier exceed them.
    2. Incumbents have an advantage in elections, but challengers have the advantage in debates since they have no record to defend. It is a double edged sword though: attack a likeable President too hard and it can backfire. So Romney needs to be ultra-respectful to the man, while slamming his policies.
    3. Romney needs to knock this out of the park to have a chance in the election. Score a draw and it is all but over.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  6. Oct 2, 2012 #5
    added, thanks!

Times like this I do wish we had a "like" button lol

Does anyone have a list of what the six topic segments will be?

7. Oct 2, 2012 #6
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. War
    4. Disease
    5. End of the World
    6. Jimmy Snyder
    2012 Presidential debate schedule.

This just in, the debate topics for tomorrow night are:
    The first three segments will focus on the economy.
    The last three segments will focus on "health care, the role of government, and governing."
    Topics for 10/3

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Oct 2, 2012 #7
    My English professor spent a good half hour of class explaining to us why it's such a great thing that Jim Lehrer is the mediator for these debates. I might watch it if I get the chance. I am a little bit uncertain of who I really want to vote for, and I think these debates will help me. Or rather, I hope that they will help me.

9. Oct 3, 2012 #8

russ_watters

10. Oct 3, 2012 #9

Astronuc

All good questions!

I wonder if either candidate is prepared to effectively deal with the economy during the next 4 years.

Some don't think so - Analysis: Candidates' deficit plans don't add up
    http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-candidates-deficit-plans-dont-add-150403612--finance.html

The are pointing fingers at each other, not offering a cogent solution
    Obama, Romney take fight over economy—to LinkedIn
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-romney-fight-over-economy-linkedin-164753493--election.html

What we face in the near term - U.S. "fiscal cliff" a risk to global growth, Europe to tell G7
    http://news.yahoo.com/u-fiscal-cliff-risk-global-growth-europe-tell-165148790--business.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Oct 3, 2012 #10

Evo

Will this thread be open to anyone regardless of if they can vote in the US election? Or will it be based upon actual voter opinions?

12. Oct 3, 2012 #11
    Open to whoever watches

13. Oct 3, 2012 #12

Evo

Super, just was wondering if we were looking at a US response or a more liberal general response since members outside the US tend to have more liberal views.

Although it would have been interesting to see the two differing viewpoints in different threads.

14. Oct 3, 2012 #13
    I watched only first 15 minutes or so. Got bored when they appeared not to be properly addressing each other arguments.

15. Oct 3, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I can't watch anymore. Too much spinning. Including "facts" that are unsupported.

16. Oct 3, 2012 #15
    I agree with Rootx and Turbo... What exactly are people hoping to see/hear in these debates? Does anyone actually change or form an opinion based on what is said?

I sort of feel like the president could probably be spending his time doing more productive things....

17. Oct 3, 2012 #16

SixNein

Gold Member

The debates are for a small proportion of America that hasn't been Gerrymandered to death. For the rest of America, I don't know if it matters.

18. Oct 3, 2012 #17

Evo

I'm not even watching the debate, the season premiere of Supernatural is on, after that it's "Life After top Chef".

I already know for whom I am voting.

19. Oct 3, 2012 #18
    Heh. Pretty much. . .

20. Oct 3, 2012 #19

Astronuc

They both seem to want to support the 'middle class', but I'm not sure how.

They both seem to want to support education - more teachers, more training, more opportunity to go to college. But it's not clear to me how. Training for what?

Both mentioned support for small business.

I remain skeptical.

Is there another choice? :frown:

21. Oct 3, 2012 #20
    They both seemed to be on same page but neither answered how they are going to do what they are saying. I believe neither of two answered how to deal with deficit in the first 15 minutes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook