USA Final 2012 Presidential Debate (#3) Observations

• News
  • Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final Usa
In summary, the third presidential debate focused mainly on domestic policy. Romney tried to attack Obama on a few fronts, but was ultimately unsuccessful. Obama looked strong and was able to make a few strong points.
Evo said:
Regular $3.37 here, just updated 2 hours ago at the station I go to. Costco & Sam's club $3.33, but I don't get gas there.

Oh, I forgot, it's cheaper on the MO side, 3 miles from here $3.09 a gallon, same gas station brand I use and it says prices are falling.
It says they are falling 50 cents in a week?

More on point, when you say,
"... people blame the president for gas prices."
Do you think he deserves no blame? I agree w/ Obama's retort that gas prices were down in 2008 because it was the height of the recession. On the other hand Romney was correct about the federal government cutting leases&permits in half - on Obama's watch.

Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
It says they are falling 50 cents in a week?
No, it only lists the last 36 hours. I'm going by what I paid last week.

No, I don't blame the president for gas prices. Never, no matter who the president was, there are too many factors that influence the daily price.

do the debates actually help in deciding whose behavior over the next 4 years will help the country?

mathwonk said:
do the debates actually help in deciding whose behavior over the next 4 years will help the country?
I don't think so.

mathwonk said:

For a small chunk of the population who happens to be undecided, it would seem so. Romney's bump after the first debate was noticeable and hasn't really receded much.

Angry Citizen said:
For a small chunk of the population who happens to be undecided, it would seem so. Romney's bump after the first debate was noticeable and hasn't really receded much.
That's what's wrong, IMO, people not deciding if a person has the ability, knowledge and disposition to be president, but if they act energetic and aggressive in a rehearsed televised debate.

Evo said:
That's what's wrong, IMO, people not deciding if a person has the ability, knowledge and disposition to be president, but if they act energetic and aggressive in a rehearsed televised debate.

I suspect some of Romney's current support in the polls is from sheer enthusiasm. I've never seen the Republicans this riled up. This tends to skew likely voter models, as we saw after the Democratic National Convention. Anyone who thinks Romney convinced upwards of ten percent of the electorate that he was the best leader after a ninety minute debate is fooling themselves.