Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News USA Presidential Debate #2 Observations

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Guess I'll start the thread for this one. (I didn't notice an existing thread for this yet.)

(Using Greg Bernhardt's 1st debate post as a template):
    Use this thread for commentary on the 2nd Presidential Debate (United States). It starts at 9PM EDT Oct 16th. Please keep debate of issues to a minimum and focus on observations relevant to the debate.

Have a nice day :)​

I'll be watching it streaming. I'm guessing that it will be from here http://abcnews.go.com/live or can at least be found from there when the time comes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There has been some interesting discussion of the moderator's [intended] conduct:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/candy-crowley-to-bend-rules-at-presidential-debate/

Must say I agree with her. If the moderator can't challenge the debaters to stay on point, you may as well just hire a trained monkey with a stopwatch to do the job.

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Outsider comments:
    Romney is working hard to politicize the Libya issue. And, Hilary's statement today added a new twist to the whole issue. It will be interesting if Romney or audiences brings this up during the debate.

Romney doesn't have any strong and clear foreign policies so only place where he hopes to beat Obama in foreign issues is Libya. As for Iran, both Romney and Ryan just don't have enough facts.

5. Oct 16, 2012 #4

Evo

I thought the problem both Romney and Obama campaigns have is that this is a "town meeting" where the questions come from the "undecided" voters in the audience and not from the moderator. So it really depends on what she does, asking for clarification is fine, it actually should be done, asking a different question is not.

6. Oct 16, 2012 #5

russ_watters

The way she describes it, it is about asking for clarification, ie if they don't answer the question. Certainly bias can always come into play, which is probably the reason for the rule.

7. Oct 16, 2012 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can hardly wait. :smile:

I'm going to watch the debate tonight in my office, streaming online. These are the snacks I'm preparing (I have access to a microwave):
    • 1 tuna salad on wheat sandwich.
    • 1 ramen noodle soup serving.
    • 1 small, unopened bag of barbecue potato chips (optional).
    • 1 additional ramen noodle soup serving, "just 'cause it's come to that."
    • 1 microwavable, presidential burrito.
    And, in the spirit of tradition, I have managed to scrounge up the following soft, non-destructive projectiles. They are sitting at arm's reach, ready to hurl at the screen whenever necessary:
    • Balled up socks
    • Miniature, foam football* (American football style--similar in shape to a rugby football if you're not familiar)
    • Beer cozy*
    • Whiteboard eraser
    • Two sets of ramen noodle soup packaging
    • Fluffy, cat toy*
    • Baseball cap
    • Small, unopened bag of barbecue potato chips (optional)
    *(!?! What in the world are these objects doing in my office?)

8. Oct 16, 2012 #7

Evo

I have a spicy chimichanga and potato chips.

Beverage: Fresca and vodka

Oh, things to throw, good idea! I have socks.

9. Oct 16, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I need bricks!

10. Oct 16, 2012 #9
    I wish I am at home right now watching the debate, but I'm still working.
    Guess I have to watch it later. Hopefully there will be a video of the whole debate later tonight so I can watch it when I get home.

11. Oct 16, 2012 #10
    I think the Libya issue was tough for Obama. Romney capitalized.

12. Oct 16, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Still in progress, Greg.

13. Oct 16, 2012 #12

Evo

I missed the Libya question, so far Romney's been on the defensive, Obama owns this debate. Romney didn't even answer the first few questions. On the second question, Romney's voice was actually cracking from nerves, although he did later regain his composure, he continues to talk over the moderator and disregard new questions to harp on the previous ones. He comes across as flustered.

Ack, now Obama tried Romney's tactic. I don't like it.

14. Oct 16, 2012 #13
    That was fun. Lots of drama there. Obama called it offensive that Romney accused him of playing politics, but he accused Romney first.

15. Oct 16, 2012 #14
    They both seem to be stumbling over guns topic :devil:

16. Oct 16, 2012 #15
    This was more entertaining to watch than the first. Good to see Obama was awake for this one.

17. Oct 16, 2012 #16

Evo

Amazing that this close to the election Romney didn't have an answer for the first question. Obama clearly laid out a 5 step plan.

18. Oct 16, 2012 #17
    What was the first question?

19. Oct 16, 2012 #18
    Wow. That Libya question was tense, the way Obama stared down Romney like he was starring at a child doing something horribly wrong.

I dunno, I don't like Romney's policies but I do like his strength and composure. Although he did deflect his tax stance which was an issue with me. Did anyone else catch that?

20. Oct 16, 2012 #19

russ_watters

21. Oct 16, 2012 #20

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Moderator: "So what do you have to say about this issue Gov. Romney"?
    Romney: "I will ignore your question and talking about something completely irrelevant!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook