Pressure above which graphite will spontaneously change into diamond

In summary, the pressure at which graphite spontaneously changes to diamond can be calculated by setting the Gibbs free energy (G) to 0, as graphite and diamond will be in equilibrium at this pressure. The relevant equation is G = H - TS, where H is the enthalpy and S is the entropy. At 273.15K and 1 bar, the standard free energy of formation for graphite is 0 and for diamond it is 2.9 kJ/mol, indicating that graphite is the more stable form of carbon under these conditions. The given information of T = 298.15 K (isothermal) and Vdiamond - Vgraphite = -2 x 10-6m3/mol can be used
anisotropic

Homework Statement

Calculate the pressure at which graphite spontaneously changes to diamond.

T = 298.15 K (isothermal)
Vdiamond - Vgraphite = -2 x 10-6m3/mol

At 273.15K and 1 bar (105 Pa):
ΔGf graphite = 0
ΔGf diamond = 2.9 kJ/mol
i.e. graphite is the more stable and preferred form of carbon in the above conditions.

Homework Equations

Not really sure here... Could be anything.

Perhaps useful is: G = H - TS

But I don't see where P fits in.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know G will be 0 at the pressure I am trying to identify (i.e. graphite and diamond will be in equilibrium, with equal tendency for the carbon to form either).

Physics news on Phys.org
G = H - TS is definitely relevant if you expand H by using its definition.

So, using the equation G = H - TS, I can rearrange to solve for P:

P = (H - G)/T

At 298.15K, the enthalpy change from graphite to diamond is 2.9 kJ/mol, and the entropy change is 0 (since both forms have the same number of atoms and therefore the same entropy). Plugging these values in, I get:

P = (2.9 kJ/mol - 0)/298.15K

P = 9.73 kJ/mol

Therefore, the pressure at which graphite will spontaneously change into diamond is approximately 9.73 kJ/mol. This calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account any kinetic barriers that may affect the transformation. It is also important to note that this pressure will vary at different temperatures and may not be accurate for all conditions.

1. What is the pressure at which graphite will spontaneously turn into diamond?

The exact pressure at which this transformation occurs is known as the "transition pressure" and is estimated to be around 150,000 times atmospheric pressure.

2. Is the transformation from graphite to diamond reversible?

Yes, the transformation from graphite to diamond is reversible. This means that diamond can be turned back into graphite if the pressure is reduced below the transition pressure.

3. Can the transformation occur at room temperature?

No, the transformation from graphite to diamond requires both high pressure and high temperature. The estimated temperature for this transformation to occur is around 1,500-2,000 degrees Celsius.

4. What is the physical difference between graphite and diamond?

Graphite and diamond have different atomic structures. Graphite is made up of layers of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice, while diamond has a three-dimensional lattice structure. This accounts for their different physical properties, such as hardness and electrical conductivity.

5. Can other elements besides carbon undergo a similar transformation under high pressure?

Yes, other elements such as boron, silicon, and germanium have been observed to undergo transformations under high pressure. However, the exact conditions for these transformations may vary depending on the element.