Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure due to boiling a liquid

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    I am looking for an equation to determine the pressure produced by boiling a liquid.
    (On the net I can only find information on the effect that pressure has on boiling point)

for example, the pressure produced by heating liquid nitrogen to 0K.

Any help would be great!

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"Boiling" means to heat a liquid to where the partial pressure of the gas is above ambient pressure. So if you confine a liquid and heat it, the pressure produced corresponds to the partial pressure or saturated vapor pressure at that temperature. You find this from a table, ie a steam table or similar. There are some on the web and any good thermo book will have a bunch of tables for different fluids in it.

Tables for Nitrogen might not go up that high - the pressures would be huge as that is well above the critical point for nitrogen (the point at which you can no longer distinguish liquid from gas - you can no longer define "boiling").

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    You wouldn't heat Nitrogen to zero Kelvin. You would cool it.

Zero Kelvin is really cold.

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Lol, sorry - I saw 0K and thought 0C.

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    You could talk to Redbelly about my blunder converting between Celcius and Kelvin. It went on for several posts :redface:

7. Oct 19, 2009 #6
    I meant heat Liquid Nitrogen to 0C (273K)

8. Oct 20, 2009 #7
    Look up the phase diagram of N2. Pick the coordinate were the temperature is 273K. Where this line crosses the liquid-gas transition is the pressure you are interested in.

It looks like about 500 psi to me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. Oct 20, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Do you have a link to a phase diagram? I couldn't find one.

10. Oct 20, 2009 #9

Hero!

Many thanks!

11. Oct 20, 2009 #10
    I googled images for N2 phase diagram. I only found a crude one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook