1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure (force) from wind on a building

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Hello,
    I am trying to work with an equation I have for force from wind on an enclosed building. The equation is two parts, consisting of Qz which relates the the gound structure to the building

qz = CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * V^2 * CONSTANT
    V being the velocity

You then have the force equation
    P = Qz * CONSTANT*CONSTANT - Qh(CONSTANT)

Qh being the avg height of the building.

Could someone give me a little direction on how to for a differential equation with this?

Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    anyone please?

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    Hello,
    I am trying to work with an equation I have for force from wind on an enclosed building. The equation is two parts, consisting of Qz which relates the the gound structure to the building

qz = CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * V^2 * CONSTANT
    V being the velocity

You then have the force equation
    P = Qz * CONSTANT*CONSTANT - Qh(CONSTANT)

Qh being the avg height of the building.

Could someone give me a little direction on how to for a differential equation with this?

Any help would be great!

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I think you'll have to be a little more clear about your equations. What do all the constants mean? Do you have an equation which describes the force on the building due to the wind? What does it depend on? What kind of force are we talking about? A distributed load?

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    The constants have to do with based one ASCE code, is it in a hurricane zone? The tilt of the building. Most of the constants are actully just a 1 since they are "normal"

P would be a distributed load over Qh

7. Apr 24, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

OK, what kind of a differential equation are we talking about? What exactly are you trying to find, and what exactly is given? You know the height of the building, and the force due to the wind depending on the velocity of the wind, right? Or am I missing something?

8. Apr 24, 2007 #7
    I know all of the constants listed above. I do not know V or Qh,height, I was hoping to create a relationship between them.

I can solve these by themselfs just fine, but want a relationship.

9. Apr 24, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

A relationship between the velocity of the wind and the height of the building? I'm not sure this makes sense.

10. Apr 24, 2007 #9
    I guess I said that wrong,
    A relationship between the pressure, from V and Qh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?