Pressure (force) from wind on a building

In summary: If you want an equation that describes the force on the building due to the wind, you'll need to be more clear about what you are trying to do.
differcult
Hello,
I am trying to work with an equation I have for force from wind on an enclosed building. The equation is two parts, consisting of Qz which relates the the gound structure to the building

qz = CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * CONSTANT * V^2 * CONSTANT
V being the velocity

You then have the force equation
P = Qz * CONSTANT*CONSTANT - Qh(CONSTANT)

Qh being the avg height of the building.

Could someone give me a little direction on how to for a differential equation with this?

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please?

differcult said:
Hello,
I am trying to work with an equation I have for force from wind on an enclosed building. The equation is two parts, consisting of Qz which relates the the gound structure to the building

V being the velocity

Could someone give me a little direction on how to for a differential equation with this?

Any help would be great!

Hello,

V being the velocity

Any help would be great!

I think you'll have to be a little more clear about your equations. What do all the constants mean? Do you have an equation which describes the force on the building due to the wind? What does it depend on? What kind of force are we talking about? A distributed load?

The constants have to do with based one ASCE code, is it in a hurricane zone? The tilt of the building. Most of the constants are actully just a 1 since they are "normal"

P would be a distributed load over Qh

differcult said:
The constants have to do with based one ASCE code, is it in a hurricane zone? The tilt of the building. Most of the constants are actully just a 1 since they are "normal"

P would be a distributed load over Qh

OK, what kind of a differential equation are we talking about? What exactly are you trying to find, and what exactly is given? You know the height of the building, and the force due to the wind depending on the velocity of the wind, right? Or am I missing something?

I know all of the constants listed above. I do not know V or Qh,height, I was hoping to create a relationship between them.

I can solve these by themselfs just fine, but want a relationship.

differcult said:
I know all of the constants listed above. I do not know V or Qh,height, I was hoping to create a relationship between them.

I can solve these by themselfs just fine, but want a relationship.

A relationship between the velocity of the wind and the height of the building? I'm not sure this makes sense.

I guess I said that wrong,
A relationship between the pressure, from V and Qh

1. How does wind create pressure on a building?

Wind creates pressure on a building through a combination of two factors: the speed of the wind and the surface area of the building. As wind moves over and around a building, it exerts a force on its surface, resulting in pressure.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative pressure from wind on a building?

Positive pressure occurs when wind blows directly onto a surface, creating a force that pushes against the building. Negative pressure, also known as suction, occurs when wind flows over and around a building, creating a low-pressure area behind the building that can pull on it.

3. How does the shape and design of a building affect wind pressure?

The shape and design of a building can greatly impact the amount of wind pressure it experiences. Buildings with flat surfaces, sharp edges, and tall heights are more likely to experience high wind pressure, while rounded shapes and sloping surfaces can help to reduce pressure.

4. Can wind pressure cause damage to a building?

Yes, wind pressure can cause significant damage to a building if it is not designed and constructed to withstand it. High wind pressure can lead to structural damage, roof uplift, and even collapse in extreme cases.

5. How can engineers and architects mitigate wind pressure on a building?

Engineers and architects can use various techniques to mitigate wind pressure on a building, such as using wind-resistant materials, designing for aerodynamic shapes, and incorporating features like bracing, dampers, and vents to redirect or absorb wind forces.