Pressure issue on pipeline splitting

In summary, the conversation is about determining the pressure required for a pipe system with a pump, sump, and split pipes. The total head needed is based on the physical height, suction height, total head loss, and head needed at the exit. The question is whether to add 140kPa to the total head once or for each pipe in the split. The answer is that only one 140kPa should be added to the total head.
HoBBLeCooKiE
Can anyone give me some assistance on this problem:

I have a pump below a sump of 1m high and pumping upward in a pipe that splits near the end.
I require at least 140kPa pressure on EACH pipe. I know I need to enter the pressure in terms of head into the total head (physical height - suction height + total head loss) required, but what happens with the split? Do I add 140kPa to the total head required, or do I add (2 x 140kPa)?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pressure in the pipes will be determined by the discharge conditions, pipe material, pipe size and geometry, any valves, etc. But to answer your question, it's just the 140 kPa.

What do you mean, though, by "add 140 kPa to the total head required"? Are you sizing the pump?

Without flow, you don't have to add anything for the split, just height is relevant (you can imagine a single pipe as many pipes right next to each other if you like, it does not change the result). With flow, it depends on the pressure loss due to the flow.

I guess I didn't explain clearly...sorry about that.
I have a pipe system that runs from the pump 8m up to 2 cyclones. The total head would be the 8m + headloss due to friction + headloss due to split + headloss due to any bends, valves, enlargements, etc. + head needed at exit. I need 140kPa (14.27m) in each cyclone. Do I need to add the 14.27m once to the rest of the head loss and height or do I need to add it for each cyclone? I know in parallel pipes the headloss is equal across each pipe, just scratching my head over the pump pumping into the cyclones.

Yep, just add it the once.

1. What is a pipeline splitting?

A pipeline splitting is a situation where a pipeline designed to transport fluids or gases experiences a rupture or breakage, causing the contents to leak out.

2. What causes a pipeline splitting?

There are various factors that can cause a pipeline splitting, such as corrosion, external damage, manufacturing defects, or excessive pressure.

3. How does pressure affect pipeline splitting?

High pressure within a pipeline can increase the risk of a pipeline splitting. This is because the pipeline is designed to withstand a certain amount of pressure, and if it exceeds that limit, it can lead to a rupture or breakage.

4. What are the potential consequences of a pipeline splitting?

The consequences of a pipeline splitting can be severe and potentially catastrophic. It can result in environmental damage, loss of product, and even harm to human health and safety.

5. How can pipeline splitting be prevented?

Pipeline splitting can be prevented by regular inspection and maintenance, using high-quality materials, and following proper design and construction guidelines. It is also essential to monitor pressure levels and have emergency response plans in place in case of a potential pipeline splitting.