Pressurized Gas Canister Release Question

In summary, Canister B, which has a higher temperature and pressure, will empty first when both canisters are opened to release the gas. This is due to the higher pressure differential and velocity of the gas, as well as the fact that canister A will take time to reach the same pressure as canister B.
s.p.q.r
Hi,

I have 2 pressurized canisters, both are 60 litres in size. Both are filled with 120 litres of ideal gas. Canister A is heated to 100 degrees celcius (373 kelvin) and Canister B is heated to 2000 degrees celcius (2273 Kelvin).
Canister B will obviously expand more than Canister A.
But, I have a few questions.
If both canister valves are opened to release the gas, which canister will empty first? Canister A that has lower volume of gas and lower pressure or Canister B that has larger volume and higher pressure?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the canisters don't expand much (so their volume difference is isn't much and the pressure is high), canister B will be at much higher pressure and will therefore expel it's gas faster on a per mass basis.

initial pressure and volume in both canisters are same(not different as you say).
after the heating, pressure of can B will be obviously more. therefore canister B will empty first.

ank_gl said:
initial pressure and volume in both canisters are same(not different as you say).
after the heating, pressure of can B will be obviously more. therefore canister B will empty first.
How can two identical containers, with the same amount of gas in them, at two different temperatures have the same pressure?

Are we discussing reality, because, if we are, the flows will be choked coming out of the canisters...

Last edited:
i was talking about the state of the containers before heating.
OP says "I have 2 pressurized canisters, both are 60 litres in size. Both are filled with 120 litres of ideal gas. "
then the process of heating starts.
and sorry i didnt understand this line, the first time "Canister B will obviously expand more than Canister A. " i thought that he meant the expansion of gas in higher temp container would be more.
and i don't think that canister expansion ll have much effect.
for example, if aluminium canister is used, thermal CoE for which is
0.000023 per K, volume change for 2000K is 0.138cubic units

ank_gl said:
i was talking about the state of the containers before heating.
OP says "I have 2 pressurized canisters, both are 60 litres in size. Both are filled with 120 litres of ideal gas. "
then the process of heating starts.
and sorry i didnt understand this line, the first time "Canister B will obviously expand more than Canister A. " i thought that he meant the expansion of gas in higher temp container would be more.
and i don't think that canister expansion ll have much effect.
for example, if aluminium canister is used, thermal CoE for which is
0.000023 per K, volume change for 2000K is 0.138cubic units
Ahhhh...I see what you mean.

I don't think that the OP meant to consider physical expansion of the canisters but we don't know that right now. The question isn't very specific. I am assuming the only expansion involved is what the gas is trying to do due to the temperature.

Ahh, sorry guys, i was not specific enough. In the OP i did not mean that we should consider the expansion of the actual containers, but the expansion of the gas. The first response by Russ was the most accurate and what I was looking for. I will have another question regarding expanding gases soon, so look out for this post. Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers.

spkr:
which canister will empty first?

What does empty mean ?

It means whith less pressure ( 1 ) or whith less mass of gas ( 2 ) ?

In case 1, note that for the canister whith high pressure it will take a time to reach the conditions of the canister whith less pressure and then they will be at same pressure. So canister A ( 100 ºC ) will empty first.

well i didnt get which condition are you referring to alvaros. gas ll be pushed outward because of the pressure differential. canister B has a higher pressure differential.
apply bernoulli, velocity of rushing gas is directly proportional to pressure differential. both cans have same amount of gas so B ll empty first

ank_gl said:
well i didnt get which condition are you referring to alvaros. gas ll be pushed outward because of the pressure differential. canister B has a higher pressure differential.
apply bernoulli, velocity of rushing gas is directly proportional to pressure differential. both cans have same amount of gas so B ll empty first

The condition is pressure.

Suppose canister A is at 2Kg/cm2 and B at 10 Kg/cm2.
Yoou open the valves and, after a while, canister B will have 2 Kg/cm2, but then canister A will have less than 2 Gg/cm2, canister A will always be ahead.

1. What are pressurized gas canisters used for?

Pressurized gas canisters are used to store and transport compressed gases, such as oxygen, propane, or helium. They are commonly used for cooking, heating, medical purposes, and powering tools and equipment.

2. How does a pressurized gas canister release its contents?

A pressurized gas canister releases its contents through a valve on the top or side of the canister. When the valve is opened, the pressure inside the canister pushes the gas out through the opening.

3. What safety precautions should I take when using pressurized gas canisters?

When using pressurized gas canisters, it is important to handle them carefully and keep them away from heat sources, flames, and direct sunlight. It is also important to read and follow the instructions on the canister and to use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses.

4. How do you dispose of a pressurized gas canister?

Pressurized gas canisters should never be disposed of in regular trash. It is important to check with your local waste management services for specific instructions on how to properly dispose of pressurized gas canisters. In some cases, they may need to be taken to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

5. Can pressurized gas canisters explode?

Yes, pressurized gas canisters can explode if they are exposed to extreme heat or if they are damaged or punctured. It is important to handle them carefully and to always check for any signs of damage before using them.